1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: PC games will not start because of sound card...

Discussion in 'Games' started by bigdor, Mar 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bigdor

bigdor Thread Starter

Hello,

I've just purchased Turning Point: Fall of Liberty and Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl (Steam) and have not been able to successfully play them yet.

With both games, when I try to start them up, they go to the splash screen, and then just hang. They hang until Windows Vista reads (not responding) on their respective title bars.

If I disable my sound card however, the games startup just fine. Obviously this is unacceptable. Any ideas what might fix this? I really like my sound card, so I'm really not looking to replace it, but it's an option if someone has solved this problem before by getting a new one.

Also, I've checked my IRQs and my sound card is on IRQ 17, all by itself. Video card is on IRQ 16 sharing with my SATA controller.

I do not have this problem with any other games, and I have quite a few installed on my system currently, including Half-Life 2(Steam).

BTW, I've contacted support for both games AND my sound card, and so far, no good.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Windows Vista HPE SP1
    Asus Striker Extreme BIOS 1305
    Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtremegamer
    GeForce 8800 GTS eVGA
    4GB Corsair Dominator RAM

2. Compaq__

Compaq__

Make sure you have the latest Sound Card and Video Drivers.

3. bigdor

bigdor Thread Starter

I already tried that, multiple, multiple times.
    I was hoping it was just that...

4. Compaq__

Compaq__

I'm just brainstorming here...DO you have the latest Direct X installed?

Have you tried possibly moving your soundcard to another slot?

Tried shutting down all running programs that you don't need prior to starting the games...like virus protection...firewall...etc...

Could go into msconfig and uncheck anything you know you don't need and reboot.

5. bigdor

bigdor Thread Starter

In response to the above items from Compaq_:

1.) Tried, failed...
    2.) Tried, failed...my slots are very limited with this Mobo, with using a GeForce 8800, but I was able to try all combinations without success.
    3.) Tried, failed...
    4.) Tried, failed...unchecked everything except the systray and one other thing needed by WIndows without success

So far, the only success I've had in getting these games to start is by disabling the soundcard. However, even if I re-enable the soundcard after starting the games, there is still no sound.

I'm completely baffled at this point. Thanks again.

6. like 45 ninjas.

like 45 ninjas.

Try uninstalling your soundcard and then reinstalling the drivers.
    To uninstall your soundcard:
    1) Click the start button
    2) Click run...
    3) Type devmgmt.msc
    4) Click OK
    5) Locate your soundcard
    5b) If you cannot find you soundcard go to View->Show hidden devices
    6) Right click you your soundcard
    7) Click uninstall
    8) Restart
    9) Download and reinstall drivers

7. tom6049

tom6049

For troubleshooting purposes, have you tried using the onboard sound card?

8. bigdor

bigdor Thread Starter

like 45 ninjas.-- Redownloaded, uninstalled, reinstalled....no effect. :(

tom6049-- This rev of the Striker Extreme doesn't have onboard sound. It came with a SupremeFX PCI Express card with an ADI chip on it. I dare not use that card again. That was one of my most horrible experiences I've ever had with a sound card. It took my a week just to get rid of the SoundMAX errors. Thanks though.

9. bigdor

bigdor Thread Starter

After performing a clean boot AND shutting all Windows Services down, I found that the Multimedia Class Scheduler service, when turned off disables my sound card, allowing these games to play. Obviously this is not a fix since I still have no sound in the games, but I thought I might mention it in case someone knows of a problem with this service.

10. gamerbyron

gamerbyron

I think there is a solution for you, I thinking its a vista issue, Go to contral panels, go to sound, GO to recording tab, right click on anywhere in the white background, enable show disable devices, then enable stereo mix. I think thats a problem i'm not sure, I could be wrong tho.

11. bigdor

bigdor Thread Starter

I found the screen that you mean, but I don't see an "Enable stereo mix" option anywhere. That might be soundcard specific maybe?

12. bigdor

bigdor Thread Starter

I uninstalled HostAL (ADI) from my PC. I'm pretty sure this was something still haunting me from installing that horrible, disgusting, vitriolic excuse for a soundcard called SupremeFX that came with my motherboard. What a flopping nightmare!!!

Anyway, here's the steps if you have this problem.

1.)Start menu
    2.)Control Panel
    3.)Uninstall a program
    4.)Select HostAL (ADI)
    5.)Click Uninstall
    6.)Restart your computer.

A little explanation on why the game wouldn't start. Microsoft made the idiot decision to leave DirectSound out of DirectX 10. So now there are essentially only two ways to code a game, use OpenAL, or use DirectSound and provide an OpenAL wrapper so that your DirectSound classes are read by the machine as OpenAL. Well, if you have more than one version of OpenAL on your PC, any application that needs OpenAL to run could get confused. Therefore, if you have the same problem I had, uninstall all versions of OpenAL on your PC, and then just go to Creative's website and download and install the latest version.

Thank you to everyone who helped out with this problem. I can FINALLY play this game.

13. like 45 ninjas.

like 45 ninjas.

Congratulations on fixing your problem. Have fun with your game.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/697982

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice