1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: pc hangs, is it heat problem ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pi_i_E, Dec 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pi_i_E

pi_i_E Thread Starter

I have
    motherboard - Intel Desktop Board D35788
    processor - intel p4 2.66 ghz
    ram - 256 + 1025 mb
    and its 5 years old

since half a month my pc started to hang once a day. after few days xp started to show blue screen of death with error IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. ubuntu also started to freeze up while working. since few days it started to hang up every where it can, after xp flag, before entering password, after logging in, while web browsing, while listening a song. it would just hang again and again. and its not just xp. same happen with ubuntu. swapping of rams seem to work but for few days. now i cant start my pc.
    i tend to use pc continuously for two days and 4 in extreme cases.

right now i am running the same rams and hard disks with different pc so they can be ruled out.

now i unable to narrow down the problem.
    how can i do that ?
    is there a heat problem however i have pc opened up from all side and its freezing out here ?
    is it motherboard or processor ?
    thanks for any info

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You need to troubleshoot in a systematic manner;
    1 Enter the bios and check your temps and voltages. Post those here; specifically cpu temp, system temp, 12V, 5V, and 3.3V values.
    2 Download and run memtest
    3 Open the case and check to see that all fans are in fact working. While the case is open [system OFF] give the board a very close inspection with a bright light. Look for any capacitors that look like those below.

Attached Files:

3. pi_i_E

pi_i_E Thread Starter

1. Temperature - 53 Degree Celsius
    Vcore Voltage - 1.38 V
    5V Voltage - 5.27V
    12V Voltage - 12.21V
    VCC - 3.26
    Fan Speed - 1592 RPM
    2. i have run memtest from grub and it was successful
    3. There was nothing wrong like that. to be sure i also matched my motherboard's capacitors with a working motherboard's capacitors , they are same.

4. win2kpro

win2kpro

The board number you listed is not a good model number for an Intel board. Is the board model number actually a D101GGC?

5. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

Indicated voltage for +5V line is out of specification.

Edit: That temp looks high too. Decent chance you have a power supply regulation issue.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The temp is a little high. If that was in the bios, that was under a no load condition so 100% load is going to be higher.
    If your pw supply is also 5yr old, that is something I would replace.

Load a monitoring app like HWMonitor or the intel utilities and check your temp while running something like prime95.
    http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
    http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/

7. pi_i_E

pi_i_E Thread Starter

yes , that was AA#
    http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d101ggc/sb/cs-021717.htm

that is all i could find.

ye me think that too. i used to run it non stop for 2 days.

yes that temperature is from bios. no my power supply is just few month old, eh but its a cheap one. so i guess thats where i should look.

8. win2kpro

win2kpro

Access BIOS and post the first 3 sections of the BIOS string. You should see the BIOS string when BIOS opens.

The string should be GC11010N.86A.???? When you record the string see if the 2nd section is 86A or 15A.

9. pi_i_E

pi_i_E Thread Starter

the whole string is
    GC11010N.86A.0303.2005.1108.2057

10. pi_i_E

pi_i_E Thread Starter

[​IMG]

hwmoniter stat

what is diode 2 and why its temperature is so high ?

11. win2kpro

win2kpro

The 1st thing I would try would be to reset BIOS by removing the CMOS battery for a couple of minutes. Since the board is a few years old, I would go ahead and get a new CR2032 battery and replace it when resetting the BIOS since the battery is only a couple of dollars.

If the problem continues after resetting BIOS the next thing I would check is jumping a known good power supply to the board and see if the problem continues.

Intel does not show a BIOS version of 0303, although they do show a version of 0302 and 0304 and the 0304 version has the same date as the 0303 version you posted. This is not unusual since at times when Intel releases a new version (from the original version, i.e. 0302) they may find a "glitch" in the microcode, release the new version (0304) and delete the previous version, i.e. 0303.

There were only two versions of the 1xx series boards which were the D101GGC and the D102GGC2 both which used the ATI Radeon Xpress 200 chipset. Both boards were somewhat problematic and were discontinued after fairly limited production.

12. Irukku

Irukku

It might be a disk, or RAM problem. Try checking your disk for errors, and running a RAM test.

I have a P4 like that at home, and it runs at very high temperatures with no problems (over 60ÂșC).

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Reopened per OP's request.

14. pi_i_E

pi_i_E Thread Starter

thanks TerryNet for reoping this thread. now i got motherboard and ram changed. and for a month my xp did not stutter at all. but for few days it has been slowing down. first it was just 1 sec hang. and now it takes me 20 sec to move cursor from one side to another. its the same problem which i had few month back. so its its neither motherboard nor ram. the problem seems to be with xp (its the same xp) only (ya ubuntu works great) and today chkdsk'd (with /r /f) my all partitions but its was big waste of time (20 hrs). then i system restored my xp and just like that problem was solved. and i am confused, if there was problem with xp why did it reappeared after one month ? Was it really my hardware ? what are the chances it is my 3 and 5 years old seagate hard disks. what is actually the problem(s). ps i did not install anything suspicious. i have comodo (with defense+ on paranoid mode) and bitdefender is up to date.

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

All things wear out and 5yrs is a long time for a hard drive [at least one you depend on]
    Have you run the seatools diagnostic for testing the drive?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!