1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: PC is dead again :(

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by aatwo, Sep 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aatwo

aatwo Thread Starter

Hey guys. I posted this topic a few days ago (http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/751434-dead-pc.html).

In a nut shell my computer wasn't turning on and so I bought a new power supply. The new power supply is fitted and working wonderfully.

But I am still having problems. My computer has two hard drive partitions, both with copies of windows on. When I select which Operating system I want to use the computer will start up as it would. But then it gets to the big WINDOWS XP logo screen which is there for a while. Then usually after that the screen goes blank for a second or two, BUT the problem is now the computer seems to freeze at this point while the screen is blank.

Also it may be relevant to point out that the power button no longer turns off the computer, no matter how long it is held down for.

So here I am thinking; I either have a faulty hard drive, a faulty installation of windows, a faulty motherboard, or any combination of the three.

So I have come back here to try and get a suspected diagnosis and perhaps even some advice.

Any ideas? :)

2. LordKaT

LordKaT

Can you start the system in safe mode? It may be that there is a corrupted file on your hard drive that can be bypassed with a safe mode start (and then corrected with a drive scan)

As for the power button not working - are you sure you connected the PSU to the motherboard correctly? I had that problem for the longest time until I finally got my hands on the manual to my board and connected the headers correctly.

3. aatwo

aatwo Thread Starter

Hey guys. Just posting to tell you that I finally solved the problem.

I bought a new hard drive, new motherboard and a new power supply. I also took the opportunity to spruce up my system a bit by adding a wonderful new I-cute case with a huge zalman cpu cooler sitting nicely on my CPU.

To conclude, the power supply was the main problem and was the reason for my PC not starting up properly (which was the problem I talked about in this topic: http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/751434-dead-pc.html

The new motherboard and hard drive were both bought to solve the problem described in THIS topic and now I have a PC running 100% as expected with an average cpu temperature of 30 degrees :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752568

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice