1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: PC is running in SUPER SLOW MOTION.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ilq36, Dec 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ilq36

ilq36 Thread Starter

It's taking literally minutes to open a Internet Explorer window, to open my e-mail program, and even once inside my e-mail program it takes half a minute to switch from one email to another in my inbox.

The first signs were a couple weeks ago. It was taking 20 to 30 seconds to open a word document. But that was the only trouble for a while.

I am running Windows XP.
    NB: I installed, then un-installed SP2 about a month ago. Things seemed to work fine--until the above problems began.

2. Mithrilhall

Mithrilhall

Open Task Manager. What is your CPU usage at? Under Processes, what is taking up the most CPU usage?

3. Mastertech

Mastertech

1. Why did you uninstall SP2?

2. Make sure your system is clean by running through Steps 1 and 2 of my Guide

3. Check to make sure all your cooling fans are working, CPU, Power Supply, Video Card, Chipset ect...

4. ilq36

ilq36 Thread Starter

The damnedest thing. Hours later, things are working fine again. Even WORD didn't take a long time to open!
    However, I did familiarize myself with Task Manager a bit, and if and when I have the same problem, I will check out the CPU usages.
    If a program is using a lot of CPU, what might this tell me, and what might I do about it?
    Incidentally, two processes now running, each taking 02 CPU, are netsurf.exe and cdfview2.exe. Are these both legitimate processes?
    Thank you for your reply.

5. Kenny94

Kenny94 Banned

Netsurf.exe is your ISP software. cdfview2.exe. is Internet Explorer Repair tool ( I think it is?) both are legitimate processes.

Sounds like U need more memory? Bill Gates said, "640k (1/2 of a megabyte) ought to be enough for anybody." That was in 1981.
    You should have at least 256 megabytes with XP. On my system I have 512 of RAM. For more info on RAM-Memory hop on over to:
    http://www.computermemoryupgrade.net/index.html

Also U can visit my website. Top Ten 2003 Questions and Answers about Windows XP at: http://upstatecomputerservices.com/custom2.html

6. Mastertech

Mastertech

You need to run through Steps 1 and 2 of the Guide to make sure you system is not infected with anything.

7. Kenny94

Kenny94 Banned

Mastertech wrote;
    [email protected] 01:10 AM
    2. Make sure your system is clean by running through Steps 1 and 2 of my Guide

Like Ronald Reagan used to say, "Here we go again!" :)

ilq36,

Let us know on your memory?

8. Mastertech

Mastertech

Until you can confirm your system is virus and spyware free, troubleshooting other problems is generally a waste of time.

9. Kenny94

Kenny94 Banned

10. Mastertech

Mastertech

ilq36,

Let me know if you find anything.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/308993

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice