1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: PC keeps restarting every 4-6 seconds

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by hyperzone, Jan 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hyperzone

hyperzone Thread Starter

This started out as a cheapo barebones system from the internet.

- Foxconn LGA775 672M01-1.1-8KSH DDR2 SATA
    - Intel Pentium 4 550 3.4GHz LGA775 CPU
    - standard heatsink/cooling fan
    - 250w cheapo pwr supply
    - mid twr case

I swapped a 100GB SATA drive and a CD-ROM drive to it from my old computer and started a fresh install of Windows XP. Worked. After I had it up and running I started to install my other hard drives, a PCIe x1 video card, a PCI IDE controller (for the old IDE drives I still want to use), and various USB devices. I put these in one by one to ensure I wouldn't overload the computer (didn't even realize at the time it was a 250w pwr supply)... It all worked. Started messing with the driver updates for the video and was having wacky issues getting the resolution right and thats where it got weird. I uninstalled the video card and drivers and went back to onboard video hoping to at least still have use of the computer but, at that point it would not boot past windows logo screen. It would get to that and reboot. When I tried safe mode, it would just reboot as well prior to loading windows. I figured I have plenty of time to try it all again and decided to try and reload windows from scratch again and it would reboot right after the HDD format part where it starts copying files. I installed different CDROM and same thing. I went out and purchased a new RAM chip to swap in and same thing. after much swapping, I threw a tantrum and went out and bought a new LGA775 motherboard, new 430w pwr supply, and a new DDR3 Ram chip (since the the new MOBO is DDR3). So, here's the current specs:

- *new* gigabyte G41MT-S2PT motherboard
    - *new* thermaltake 430w pwr supply
    - *new* kingston 8GBx1 DDR3 (KVR1333D3N9/8G)
    - same P4 550 3.4GHz CPU
    - same CPU heatsink/fan
    - same case

Plugged in the one SATA HDD and one CDROM and applied power hoping to retry loading windows but now the system keeps restarting every 5 seconds or so. The monitor does not come on. The keyboard does not appear to have pwr (PS2 keyboard). There are no beeps from PC speaker. The only way I can tell that pwr is going to something is the CPU fan and PWR supply fans kick on. I listened closely and I think I hear a click or two from the HDD but cant be sure. I have moved the RAM chip to the second slot which had no effect. I tried swapping the 250w cheapo PWR supply back in for the hell of it and there's no change. I tried booting with no HDD, CDROM, USB, KEYBOARD, ect. and still no change. I saw someone else posted a similar problem and mentioned that they unplugged the MOBO 12v ATX pwr plug (4pin square connector) and their computer would stop the rebooting process but still would not do anything... so I tried it for the hell of it and got the same result - the CPU fan came on full speed and the system did not do the restart thing anymore although I still have nothing to the monitor, cannot tell if HDD has pwr, and CDROM doesn't open when button is pushed so I assume there's not power to that either.

This is so weird. Only thing I can come up with is maybe I need a 500w or better pwr supply or maybe the P4 CPU is toast. The *new* MOBO manual suggests there may be issues if you dont use a 500w or better pwr supply so that will be my next swap out. Hate throwing all this money at this computer so, if there's something stupid that I'm missing, please point me in the right direction! Thanks.

***Edit***
    Just noticed on the MOBO package in the product specifications that under memory it reads "support for DDR3 1333(O.C)1066/800MHz memory modules, max up to 8GB"... What does the "(O.C.)" mean? Overclocked? Just wondering since the 8GB stick I put in reads like this on ITS package - "KVR1333D3N9/8G, 8GB PC3 - 10600 CL9 240 - PIN DIMM". Just wondering if that all means my ram chip is 1333MHz and my MOBO may not like that???

2. dai

dai

if this is the psu you bought it is straight out junk in a pcie system

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153023

when you install ram to get dual speed you install 2 matching sticks i.e. 2x4g sticks

one stick will only run at half speed

is your ram on the m/board support list they have tested the board with

3. hyperzone

hyperzone Thread Starter

Yes, that was the 430w unit that I picked up.... took it back and put in a Thermaltake TR2 800w pwr supply now. - NO CHANGE - system still keeps rebooting over and over after a few seconds.

I checked the motherboard supported Memory and CPU listing. It supports the CPU I'm using but, I did not see the memory listed. Now, they do have a note at the top of the supported memory PDF that says "memory modules listed below are for reference only. Due to massive memory models on the market, we can only verify some of them." That being said, there was only one mention of a RAM module of 4GB supported (all others were 2GB or less) and no mention of 8GB RAMs. Maybe instead of one 1333MHz 8GB stick, I need to use two 4GB sticks and should just stick with the 1066 speed to play nice with this MOBO? If I replace this memory, and that doesn't do anything, only thing I can think of will be that the CPU is toast since its the only thing I haven't swapped other than the case.

*long sigh.......

4. dai

dai

it looks like each channel may only support a 4g stick

5. hyperzone

hyperzone Thread Starter

ordered two sticks of 4gb ddr3 1066. will be a week probably till I get those. since I cannot resist fiddling... I tried starting the PC without any RAM installed and it does not do the reboot thing. Although, it doesn't actually "boot up" or show me any logo screen or anything either, just fans turn on and it sits there humming doing nothing but at least not killing the power to itself every 5 seconds... hmmm....

6. dai

dai

it will not boot with no ram in

but you should be hearing the the bios beep codes because it is missing

7. hyperzone

hyperzone Thread Starter

no pc speaker. do motherboards have PC speakers onboard now? the first motherboard made beeps when it was installed and the second doesnt'.. thought maybe the PC speaker was bad or something and found there was none in the case. anyway, RAM is still on the way - there was a hang up on the order since they didn't have the exact brand I ordered. thinking about just ordering a new LGA775 processor while I'm waiting. A friend of mine suggested that he had an issue in the past that turned out switching cases fixed his problems. Said it had to be some weird wiring or grounding issue with the his original case cause he switched to a new case and problem went away but, when he switched back to original problem was still present. haha.. if I switch RAM and CPU, that will be the only thing that is still the same in this problem. I will keep updating this thread as I know more.

8. dai

dai

these days the speaker is just a round plastic speaker approx 1cm across and it plugs into the m/b same place as the reset and start buttons connect

should be a diagram in the m/b manual

9. hyperzone

hyperzone Thread Starter

^ I see the pinouts for power button, reset, pc speaker on the board but, there's no connectors on the case for them... only the two pin plug for power switch. The first motherboard didn't have anything plugged into the pc speaker or reset spots either but, there were still start up beeps when it was in place. so,.. I just assumed it must have a pc speaker built into the motherboard.

10. dai

dai

look again

Attached Files:

11. hyperzone

hyperzone Thread Starter

It was the RAM. The motherboard cannot recognize more than 8GB total and I think it has to be two 4GB sticks for that to work. I haven't been keeping up with computers at all since dual core processors started coming out way back so, I totally forgot that there's no point in having more than 4GB anyway since I'll be running winXP 32bit. soooo... went to the store and picked up two sticks of 2GB DDR3 1333 and wahlaaa! This SOB is currently formatting the harddrive in prep for installing windows (again). haha.. at least Its running now... Thanks everybody for the help and suggestions.

12. dai

dai

glad you have it sorted

13. dai

dai

burkorobe

hi and welcome to the forum
    please start your own threads for your own problems
    the only time you post on someone else's thread is to offer a possible solution to their problem
    monitor any other threads you consider similar

thanks
    dai

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083814

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice