1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: PC motherboard fried, how do I get files from it?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by akanyr, Jun 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. akanyr

akanyr Thread Starter

My PC motherboard got fried during a blackout in my area [​IMG], I have LOTS of music, pictures & important personal documents on the hard drive I need. Is there a way for me to get all these files from the hard drive without going to a computer repair shop? It's an HP Pavilion a250 with Windows XP SP3. I tried finding a used desktop at second hand stores to but my hard drive into to get the files but haven't had any luck finding one. Would this work if I do happen to find one in a second hand store?
    Thanks for taking time to read this, any help or suggestions would be deeply appreciated. Thanks. [​IMG]

2. valis

valis Moderator

just get an external disk enclosure; they are pretty cheap and you can plug them into another pc just as a USB drive. don't forget that your HD could have also been cooked in the power surge; in that case, the data could very well be gone. Good rule of thumb is data that you don't have backed up is data you neither need nor want.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
  4. akanyr

akanyr Thread Starter

Thanks valis for the quick reply & very good news on how to solve my problem. I've tried twice in the passed to make backups but each time something went wrong so I gave up trying. From now on I'll get my nephew to do it for me. Have a Great day. : D

5. akanyr

akanyr Thread Starter

Thank you flavallee for the link on where to browse some enclosures. Your right on how old the computer was too....it was the family computer my sister bought for my nephews when they were in high school. They all moved on to laptops but I liked that old dinosaur & didn't want to move on. Have a Wonderful day. : D

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You're welcome, and good luck. :) (y)

-----------------------------------------------------------

7. PSCO2007

PSCO2007

Making a backup image is the best thing you can do and it is extremely easy with Macrium (free).

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

Just launch the program and tell it where you want to save the image - different internal hdd or external hdd.

Make a boot cd in case your computer will not boot.

8. valis

valis Moderator

or, if you have a plethora of data as I do; all I do is just make a folder off of root called 'valis', and then sub-directories for whatever; writing, media, music, business, photos, etc, then all you have to do is save stuff ONLY to that folder, and then just copy that folder onto an external drive and synch it weekly.....:)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1127227

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice