1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: PC Needs Repair Screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rossa113, Mar 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rossa113

rossa113 Thread Starter

This is probably a software issue, but I am concerned that hardware is at fault...

Hi, I have an Asus S300C. It is about a year and a half old with Windows 8. The hard drive went and was replaced in December 2014. Everything was working perfectly after the new hard drive was installed. Now out of the blue I turned it on and a blue screen came up stating this “Your PC needs to be repaired. The boot configuration data file is missing some required information. Error code: 0xc0000034”. I know that I could fix this issue by using Bootrec commands from a system repair disk, but I feel like there is a bigger problem here since this is the second issue it has had. Do you think that there is some issue with the motherboard? I just want to see if there is anything else I could do to prevent this laptop from having anymore issues before I go ahead and try to repair the startup files.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I would start by testing the hard drive. What is the brand and model of the new drive? You should be able to download and run the manufacturer's diagnostics on it, short and long diagnostics.

UBCD would likely have their diagnostics on the disc as well as memory test such as Memtest86+ that I would also recommend doing.

UBCD: https://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

3. rossa113

rossa113 Thread Starter

My hard drive is made by HGST. (0J26005). I tried looking for a diagnostic tool that I could put on a USB stick (there is no optical drive), but had no luck. As for the site you sent me, what exactly should I download to test the hard drive? (Remember, I need to boot from a USB.)

Also, to update, I tried using

BOOTREC /FIXMBR
    BOOTREC /FIXBOOT
    BOOTREC /REBUILDBCD

All went well until the REBUILDBCD. I got an error stating "the requested system device cannot be found". Also, I booted with Ubuntu and that could not access the data on the hard drive either. Ugh, I really think the hard drive is toast! How could this happen again?

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  5. rossa113

rossa113 Thread Starter

Okay so I have an UBCD usb. I selected "Drive Fitness Test". Now it is asking for me to pick one of these options:
    for Adaptec, LSI 320 Controller, Tekram & Symbios Controllers, or ATTO 320 Controller. No idea which one to choose...

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    None of those, there should be an option to skip or continue.

7. rossa113

rossa113 Thread Starter

Well after hitting "Drive Fitness Test V4.16 (IBM/Hitachi), I am asked to select 1. SCSI and ATA support or 2. ATA support only. I selected SCSI and ATA Support (not sure it that is correct). Then it starts detecting devices. However, the device list comes up empty. I can either select yes if the device list is correct of no if not. Naturally I select no. Next I am asked "Is the defective or missing drive a 1. SCSI or 2. ATA/IDE drive?" I thought I had a SATA drive, so which do I pick?

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    2. ATA Support only.

SATA is a still ATA.

9. rossa113

rossa113 Thread Starter

Okay, well after selecting ATA only it begins detecting devices and again the device list comes up empty. I can select yes of no if this list is correct. I would naturally select no, correct?

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If the diagnostics fail to detect any drive then you probably need to change the SATA mode in the BIOS, change it from AHCI or SATA to IDE or Legacy and then try the diagnostics again. Just remember to change it back to the previous setting before trying to boot Windows. You may also need to disable Secure Boot or enable Legacy Boot.

11. rossa113

rossa113 Thread Starter

In the BIOS I changed the SATA mode to IDE, but now it won't boot from the USB. I went and checked the Boot priorities, but I don't see usb listed as an option. My boot options are 1. Windows Boot Manager, 2. UEFI: General UDisk 5.00, or 3. General UDisk 5.00.

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Unusual options but try 3.

Also it still seems you have Secure Boot enabled, you want that off and Legacy boot on.

13. rossa113

rossa113 Thread Starter

Man, you're smart. Thanks for your help. So the hard drive was found, and I did the quick test, which had no errors, I am now doing to advanced test which is taking quite some time. I will update.

14. rossa113

rossa113 Thread Starter

So after the advanced test, I got disposition code = 0x00 which i believe means no errors were found. I also tested the memory which came back with no errors. Should I try re-installing windows?

15. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You can try reinstalling if the boot repair options don't work.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!