1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: PC NO Power?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by vinpan, May 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vinpan

vinpan Thread Starter

ok i have a emachine it has xp, week ago it powered fine , 3 days ago it wound not come on then i was pushing the button a couple of times and it came on.....Now i turned it off and now the pc wont come on. the pc has power b/c the little light on the MB is green, i took the pc apart cleaed every paert and still no go,is it the Power Button? help me please?!!!!!!

2. CrazyComputerMan

CrazyComputerMan

Seems to be power button problem. Try Replacing Power Button or check the power cable is connected properly.

3. bonk

bonk Banned

Get to the power button on the front of the tower and short the switch ...so by-passing the switch and see if it works.

4. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Welcome to TSG....

You say you took the PC apart and cleaned every part? Does this mean you took the heatsink assembly off the processor and the processor out of its socket?

If you did this then there is no hope of us helping you here because doing this makes the processor go really hot and cooks itself and more than likely took the rest of the power supply out as well.

5. vinpan

vinpan Thread Starter

No i didnt take the processor out just cleaned the paste off and put new on it.

6. win2kpro

win2kpro

Try a known good power supply. eMachines are notorious for lousy power supply's.

Front panel power switch failures are rare. On some machines it is hard to get to the front panel power switch to "short" it, howver you can unplug the switch from the motherboard header and "short" it on the header.

7. vinpan

vinpan Thread Starter

i have a power supply thats not even 1 yr old..its a Antec SmartPower 350 Watts,.
    were can i get power switch ( the power button) bestbuy dont have them?

8. bonk

bonk Banned

Have you tried putting a paper clip or similar across the power button or connect the wires direct by-passing the switch and see if the power comes ON.

9. vinpan

vinpan Thread Starter

connect the wires direct by-passing the switch and see if the power comes ON.
    how u do that? and thepaper clip thing?

10. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Check the large capacitors on the motherboard very closely. If you see any bulging or leakage from any of them, you have found your problem.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Old Rich

Old Rich

I've had several eMachines in lately with the bad caps . .

12. vinpan

vinpan Thread Starter

nope no ozz and the caps are fine!! the pc is 2 1/2 yrs old!!! were can i get a power switch ( the button) and will any work?

13. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Before you spend time replacing the power switch, short the two pins it connects to on the MB with a screwdriver. If that doesn't start the machine, it's not the power switch that's the issue.

14. vinpan

vinpan Thread Starter

Short the two pins? just touch them with the screwdriver with power on?

15. bonk

bonk Banned

You can connect them first with some wire or use a paper clip with the power OFF....Then turn on the power at the plug and see if it startup.......

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/568471