1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: PC not connecting to internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by 48x, Feb 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 48x

48x Thread Starter

After clean reinstall of windows XP Pro on Dell dimension 4600, computer not connecting to internet. I have it plug into port on my wireless router, I am posting this from different PC pluged into a port on the same router, so I do have internet to the PC. In need of some guidance to resolve issue. Thanks!

2. newtonis

newtonis

Make sure that all divers needed for internet connection are installed in your new Windows XP pack.For example: Lan Drivers, I think some of your drivers is missing.

3. 20_2_Many

20_2_Many

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Look at one of the stickers on that Dell Dimension 4600 and advise us what the 7-character "service tag" number is.

Doing a clean reinstall of Windows XP SP3 and giving that computer a fresh start is a good idea, but you failed to obtain the device drivers before you started so you can install the necessary ones afterwards.

The chipset and graphics and audio and ethernet are the primary drivers you need.

Install the chipset driver first and then restart the computer before installing any other needed drivers.

-----------------------------------------------------------

5. 48x

48x Thread Starter

service tag is CLX4G51 Thank you! for your responses.

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Here is the support and driver downloads site that's specific only to your Dell Dimension 4600 desktop.

I suggest you add and save this site in your browser favorites/bookmarks list so you can readily refer to it when needed.

According to its system configuration section, it was purchased in August 2004.

According to its drivers and downloads section, the ethernet driver that I previously linked you to is the one that you need so you can get the Intel PRO/100 device working and establish a 10/100 Mbps connection.

---------------------------------------------------------

Right-click MY COMPUTER, then click Properties - Hardware - Device Manager.

How many entries are currently present that have a yellow ? or ! next to them?

7. 48x

48x Thread Starter

I have 3 Yellow ??? one is Other Devices I click that and have 2 ?? Ethernet Controller and PCI modem

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    That desktop is missing drivers for the 10/100 ethernet device and the 56K dialup modem device(which I doubt you need and use).

You need to download and save and then install the ethernet driver that I previously linked you to.

Copy the driver to a USB thumb drive or burn it to a CD-R, then use that external media to install the driver.

9. 48x

48x Thread Starter

Have enternet connection now, but with problem. click Internet explorer in loads MSN .com page then box appears says internet explorer has encountered problem and needs to close. I restarted CP and it still closes IE because of problem?

10. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    A clean reinstall of Windows XP SP3 will install Internet Explorer 6.

You need to upgrade it to Internet Explorer 8.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=43

Download and save it, then close all open windows first, then install it, then restart the computer.

--------------------------------------------------------

It may load the MSN home page by default, but you don't have to use it.

You can select and set any home page that you want.

11. 48x

48x Thread Starter

I can not stay on enternet IE closes because of problem. So how do I Upgarde to IE8. Thanks!

12. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Load the Windows Update site.

Do a "custom" scan.

If IE8 is in the list, uncheck all other high priority entries except for IE8.

Allow it to install IE8.

-------------------------------------------------------

If another browser such as Firefox or Chrome is installed in that computer, you can use it to access the IE8 link that I previously provided.

13. 48x

48x Thread Starter

I finally got things working. I still had xp service pack 1. Updated to service pack 3 before I could install IE8. Thank You for all the help!

14. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    :) (y)

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088912

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice