1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] PC plays "happy birthday" song at start!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DDZZ007, Dec 24, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DDZZ007

DDZZ007 Thread Starter

I finally got another computer, and it works great, but everytime I turn it on, the internal speakers (the one inside the comp., that *beep*'s when you turn on the comp.) plays the happy birthday song, and it never stops, it just plays it over and over and over and over again, the only way to stop it is to turn my computer off.

Does anyone know how to get rid of this problem?

Thanks for your help!

2. brianF

brianF

what operating system

Exactly when does it play the song, while your computer is going through startup, or at the windows screen as it is finishing loading.

Have you tried start/settings/control panel/sounds/ look through the list and find the windows starting sound, if it's there, change it to none or the default microsoft wav

3. beach51

beach51

Hi DDZZ007,I found this.Its a virus,instead of playing Happy Birthday,it playsChristmas songs over and over.Have you ran a virus scan? Heres the virus i found.

Name: W32/Music-D and W32/Music-E
    Aliases: W32/[email protected]
    Type: Win32 worm
    Date: 28 November 2000
    Description: W32/Music-D and W32/Music-E are both variants of the W32/Music worm.
    When an infected file is executed the worm waits a few minutes before attempting to connect to several internet websites. It attempts to download an updated version of itself from these websites.
    The worm then tries to send itself to email addresses found on the infected PC.
    The email message it sends varies depending on the version of itself it has downloaded from the web, but the message text will probably be similar to:
    "Hi, just testing email using Merry Christmas music file, you'll like it."
    The worm itself is attached as a file called music.com, music.exe or music.zip.
    When this file is run the worm attempts to play the first few bars of the song "We wish you a Merry Christmas" and displays a cartoon of Santa Claus with the caption "Music is playing, turn on your speaker if you have one" or "There is error in your sound system, music can't be heard."
    When it has finished playing the music it will then display "Merry Christmas" and start playing the music again.

4. DDZZ007

DDZZ007 Thread Starter

Thanks for the help, but I don't think it's a virus.

I have windows 98, and this music starts as soon as I push the power button, as far as I know, no virus could do that.

This is not the start up music, and it's not even played through the PC speackers, it plays through the one that INSIDE your computer, the one thats inside every computer.

5. evilmrhenry

evilmrhenry

Well, to stop it from playing, open up the computer and look for the wires that go from the speaker to the motherboard and take them out. (remember where they were plugged in).

As for a more final solution:
    It sounds like a virus or somthing similar, so it sounds like a virus scan is in order.

6. brianF

brianF

go to start/run/type sysedit and press enter.

Go to the autoexec and config.sys tabs.

See any lines calling the file, if in doubt copy and paste the files back into this thread.

If you find it just type rem with a space between it and the first character of the line, save and exit.

7. DDZZ007

DDZZ007 Thread Starter

the config.sys is empty, the autoexec.bat says:

SET BLASTER=A240 I2 D1 T4
    SET CLASSPATH=C:\Program Files\PhotoDeluxe 2.0\AdobeConnectables
    C:\CFG801
    C:\DOS801
    PATH C:\BITWARE\

8. brianF

brianF

9. DDZZ007

DDZZ007 Thread Starter

ehhhhhh, I have norton systemworks 2000 installed on that computer, but the virus definitions are 768 days old and I can't get the modem to work to update it. I'm getting DSL pretty soon, so I think I'll wait until then to update.

Thanks for your help people!

10. rhettman5

rhettman5

Do as Brian suggested, housecalls is a free online virus scanner and a very good one ! Some virus's are time actuated, meaning, if you wait it could get MUCH worse. Go to house calls and check it NOW. I don't want to scare you, but I do want to help...so...get going...Rhett Oh yea, post back and tell us what was found !!!

11. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Just an FYI --- Bitware is a fax program.

And the other two items:

How to set up SF64-PCF to play Dos Game?
    To ensure that you have "Sound" in DOS game, check that there are two statements in autoexec.bat file.
    c:\CFG801.exe
    c:\DOS801.exe
    Note that these two statements should not be remarked or missing. Both statements will enable Sound Blaster legacy and are automatically installed when you install the Windows drivers.

12. Steven715

Steven715

Just 1 more thing to try if it is a viras whitch i am not sure if it is or not try Clearing the bios and see if that stops it! Try it it might stop it

13. Dan.Z.

Dan.Z.

Thanks to everyone for helping! It seems that it has nothing to do with a virus, I tried the online scan and found nothing. and after getting DSL, I updated norton system works to the most current and it found nothing as will. But somehow after upgrading some of the windows files, the sound stopped automatically, very weird, I always thought it had nothing to do with software.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!