1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: PC Running Slow

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by abanirm, Nov 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. abanirm

abanirm Thread Starter

Hi! All.

This is just a typical question any computer user may ask.
    I have googled for hours trying to find a solution; but nothing has fixed the problem.

Problem
    I think it could be either a software problem or hardware.
    I don't know if it matters or not. But, I have a repaired HDD of 1 TB and 250 GB installed .
    The motherboard I have is also a replacement as the original motherboard had issues with the front audio panel pins.

What all I have tried
    I googled info for possible solution. Based on which I installed Spybot S & D scanned the system deleted the problems found. I have also scanned my system for any possible virus using Kaspersky Pure 9.1.024.
    I have also ran SFC/SCANOW and used the Windows Disc to rebuild the DLL cache.
    I have Advanced System Optimizer taking care of all possible problems in the computer. I manually run custom scan to get rid of junk files, Internet and privacy traces, hidden privacy exposing traces, registry errors etc.
    Drivers are updated for all devices.

I Just don't know what else could be the actual reason. I've even thought about giving up on this system.
    Coz, I just can't stand slow system. It's like I have to wait for 40-50 seconds or so to perform even simplest of tasks.
    Please assist.

Regards.

I just don't know what else could be the problem.

2. pyritechips

pyritechips Gone but Never Forgotten

First Name:
    Jim
    Have you run msconfig to see what is starting up with Windows? Click Start, Run... and enter msconfig then click the Startup tab. How many apps are starting up with Windows?

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Windows XP Pro SP3(32 bit) running in a computer that has an Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 2.80 GHz processor and 4 GB of RAM should not be running slow.

According to your system information, it's showing these 6 drives:

C: 97.65 GB
    D: 292.97 GB
    E: 195.30 GB
    F: 195.30 GB
    G: 73.24 GB
    H: 77.01 GB

that total 931.47 GB.

Is that 1 TB hard drive set up in 6 partitions?

------------------------------------------------------

4. abanirm

abanirm Thread Starter

Hi! Everybody.

I actually had forgotten the web address for this site.
    So I posted the same problem in another forum and figured Advanced System Optimizer was the culprit (editing the registry and all)
    Since it wasn't possible to undo all the changes made to registry.
    I had to take the tedious route of clean installation of windows.
    After a clean installation of windows and setting up all the usual programs I need. It's running fine.
    I've now made a thumb rule of not using any sorta window optimizers or playing with services.msc. I might as well simply use ATF Cleaner to clean all the temp files and manually get rid of temp files or the cache history and so on and so forth off my Internet Browsers manually. I do still believe in Defragmenting Disks though.
    It was 1 TB HDD with 6 partitions. But now I got 2 HDD with 7 partitions. That shouldn't be a problem I think. Coz diskeeper pro premier 2011 is gonna take care of defragmentation.
    Here is what my system spec looks like:-
    Processor - Intel C2D E7400 2.80 GhZ
    RAM - 2*2GB DDR 2 800 MHz (Although I'm aware of the 4 GB limit. From what I've read online Windows will use upto 2 GB for software application(s) and 1 GB for system resources alone. I tried changing the 2 GB Limit to 3 GB but got into problem. So, I simply have the same amount of RAM running with PAE and sysinfo shows I got 3.50GB of RAM)
    HDD - Seagate SATA 1 TB Barracuda & Seagate SATA 250 GB.
    Graphic Card - Zotac Nvidia Geforce GTS 450 GDDR5 1024 MB
    TV Tuner Card
    Samsung SATA DVD RW Writer
    PSU - Zebronics 700 W

Thanks Everybody for your precious inputs.

Thanks everyone for replying.

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Too many people learn the hard way about using registry cleaner/booster/optimizer/tuneup type utilities. :eek:

A hard drive format and clean reinstall of Windows and reinstall of drivers and programs is time-consuming, but getting a fresh start and having a good running computer is worth the effort. ;)

---------------------------------------------------------

6. abanirm

abanirm Thread Starter

Yeah. Yeah. Yeah.
    I get the winkin part. Alright.
    Well, Trust me it's a lot better than having a system where one has to wait for 40-50 seconds or so do the simplest task.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!