1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: PC slows down

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by majnus, Jan 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. majnus

majnus Thread Starter

Ok, I have had PCs for past 18 years, I know pretty much about them. I can put a PC together, I can install operating systems, format drives, partitions, fix things, I know servers and networks pretty well, and just to sum it up I am an IT expert at my workplace. So I know things pretty well, software-wise and hardware-wise.

And there it is, that one thing, I have never came across, and it just drives me mad. I have no idea what it is.

Basically what's happening is my pc is getting slow. It comes suddenly, on a random day. Once a week, once a month. I'm just working away, and it just slows down. It does everything I want it to do, except it's like 10-100x slower. When this "thing" happens, the windows is starting for anywhere between 30-60 minutes. When I click "start", it takes few minutes to start panel to show up. Literally. Same for everything else - opening folders, applications, anything. And it will stay that slow for 4-6 hours. There is nothing I can do to fix it, no matter what I do, it needs this 4-6h to just fix itself. Same in safe mode. Even If I turn it off for few days, it will resume being slow next time I start it up, and it needs to stay on and I need to wait through it.

- it's not the applications fault, as all pc's in my work are with the same software installed and they're all fine.
    - it's not the virus or malware - I have always up to date antivirus "norton end point security", also I'm running malware bytes once in a while. Nothing found. System is always clean.
    - I have ran the HP Diagnostic tools, scanned hard drive, memory - everything seems to be perfectly fine.
    - I have formatted the drive and re-installed the system - did not help.
    - When this is happening, taks manager shows nothing. Few percent of CPU usage, PF usage also at normal levels, temperatures normal.

It is very, very frustrating. I have no idea what that could be. Personally, I thought it is the hardware issue, but since the diagnostic tools came back ok - I'm just lost.

Anyone has ANY idea what that could be?

2. Robsy128

Robsy128

Hmm... have you tried cleaning the registry? That's the only thing I can think of right now.
    When did it start happening?

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    That's bad and dangerous advice. (n)

-------------------------------------------------------------

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Download and save the

TSG System Information Utility (SysInfo.exe)

After it's been downloaded and saved, double-click it to run it.

Information about your computer will appear.

Return here to your thread, then copy-and-paste the entire text here.

-------------------------------------------------------

5. majnus

majnus Thread Starter

As I said - I have formatted the drive and reinstalled the system, so it wouldn't have anything to do with the registry

@flavallee

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon processor, x86 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3317 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family, 128 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 39997 MB, Free - 5982 MB; D: Total - 209998 MB, Free - 85288 MB; E: Total - 39997 MB, Free - 18971 MB; F: Total - 15241 MB, Free - 15174 MB; L: Total - 152617 MB, Free - 11856 MB;
    Motherboard: MSI, 2A78h
    Antivirus: Symantec Endpoint Protection, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

6. majnus

majnus Thread Starter

Anyone?

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Your hardware specs are good. (y)

I'm as stumped as you are. :confused:

--------------------------------------------------------

8. Abriam26

Abriam26

Maybe you have too much applictions enabled on startup, services are not working properly, there are certain updating programs running (for example Windows Update) or one program is using a lot of CPU load/RAM?

1. Turn off unnecessary programs for the startup.
    How? ->
    Start Menu -> (Right side) Run
    Type: msconfig and click Run
    Go to Start-Up
    Uncheck the unnessecary things -> and reboot

If you don't have Run in the Start Menu then follow this guide to get it in the Start Menu: http://me2learn.wordpress.com/2008/07/21/how-to-get-the-run-icon-back-in-start-menu-for-windows-xp/

2. Fix the service(s) that is/are failing... (My knowledge on services is 0)

3. Try to turn off Windows Update in the Control Panel.

4. When your computer is ''lagging", go to your Task Manager (Right-click on taskbar, click Task Manager), then go to Processes and look for unusual things... such as >90% CPU load all the time or >[max RAM usage]

I hope this is a bit useful..

9. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I have had similar problems in the past, turned our to be the HDD going bad. You can download the Drive manufacturers diagnostic software and run both the short and long tests on the drive (the drive containing the OS).

10. Mr_Mark

Mr_Mark

Are system tools scheduled and running at the time such as Defrag, Virus scan etc etc

11. majnus

majnus Thread Starter

@Abriam26:

There is nothing unnecessary running, I'm checking msconfig quite often.
    Windows update is off since the last windows reinstall.
    As I said, when it gets slow, taks manager show nothing, CPU is about 1%, nothing unusual.

@dustyjay:

I've ran a seagate tests, the only unusual thing there was the speed which seemed quite low, but then again that was probably caused because I was running this test on a system drive...

@Mr_Mark:

Nope, nothing scheduled. I hate auto-scans and all other "auto" things, I like to control everything myself.

I think I will just end up replacing HDD in the first place, see how it goes... I still have no idea what that is and this is very frustrating :(

12. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Seatools should be run from a bootable Disc, not while in the windows environment if that is what you were saying.

13. Abriam26

Abriam26

He said updating isn't the issue... or applications.

I think it's more hardware related, since it's lagging too after re-install.

14. valis

valis Moderator

reopened per request.

15. majnus

majnus Thread Starter

Just wanted to update: it was the hard drive that was causing the issue. Replaced it and everything is now perfect. The 'old' one still appears to be perfect on all diagnostics tools though, very strange.

EDIT: Ok to close the thread now - Thanks!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!