1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: PC sound doesn´t work.

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by yvar, Jun 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. yvar

yvar Thread Starter

Yesterday i installed a PCI wifi card in my pc after which my sound completely stopped working, i have tried updating drivers, selecting the right speakers in the windows control panel and pretty much any other suggestion i found on other sites. My concern is that i might have damaged my motherboard while installing the PCI (I hit it with a screw driver when trying to remove my GPU to fit the PCI in), and that this is the cause of the problem. Do you have any other ideas on how i can fix my sound in windows or should i just assume i damaged the motherboard and buy a soundcard/ a new motherboard?

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

The test is to remove the wireless card, as of course beofre you installed this the sound worked
    If it then still does not work and there are no warnings shown in device manager for the sound then I think you can presume that you have indeed damaged the motherboard.

That said, is the sound coming from the integrated sound chip or from the GPU

3. yvar

yvar Thread Starter

Thanks for your answer, I already removed the wireless card which didnt change anything regarding the sound.
    I also checked device manager which didnt show any warnings. I'm pretty sure the sound is not coming from the GPU but i could be wrong, do you know any way for me to check?

4. Macboatmaster

What is the graphics card and how is it connected to the monitor
    Is the sound connected separately on the I/O plate to speakers

5. thewoodworker

thewoodworker

With the entire system returned to the once functional configuration, work to get it back to that status.

Uninstall the appropriate drivers and then bring the system up from a power down condition. If you have plug and play, the needed drivers will be installed automatically. Then check Device Manager for status.

Assuming you get the system back to functional, remove the sound driver before you install the new audio card. Again, let the system find the driver. If it does not, now is the time to install the driver that I assume came with your new card.

Good luck.

BTW, I worked with a system that had no sound for over a year. I finally got fed up and set out to fix it OR get a new motherboard. No motherboard was required. Building up the system from scratch (as described) worked out all of the bugs. This happened even though I had previously 'attempted' to install the audio driver.

Again, Good Luck.

What is the nomenclature of the motherboard in your computer?

6. yvar

yvar Thread Starter

The GPU is a gtx 760, its connected by DVI. The speaker sound is connected to the pc with green analog plugs.

Thanks for your answer @thewoodworker, i'll try that once i buy an audio card. My motherboard is an arock B85M-HDS.

7. Macboatmaster

Sorry for the late reply I somehow missed your post
    That GTX760 were it to be connected HDMI is capable of outputting audio - say to a TV

There have been instances when the card has been installed of the drivers installing and the Nvidia HD Audio stops the Realtek onboard audio working
    Your MB has that
    5.1 CH HD Audio (Realtek ALC662 Audio Codec)

Please tell me what is shown device manager under sound vuideo and game controllers when you expand that

Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
  8. yvar

yvar Thread Starter

The sound tab in device manager shows this: NVIDIA high definition audio, NVIDIA Virtual audio device (Wave Extensible) (WDM), Realtek high definition audio.

9. Macboatmaster

right click the NVidia entries click disable
    reboot
    on taskbar notifications area
    right click speaker icon, click playback devices
    is speakers realtek shown and does it have a green check tick as default device
    if not right click and click set as default device
    right click again and click test

10. yvar

yvar Thread Starter

The nvidia options are now gone from the playback devices and only ''speakers, realtek high definition audio'' shows up. However, its status is unplugged while it is actually plugged in, my pc doesnt recognize whether the speakers are plugged in or plugged out.

11. Macboatmaster

Go into setup BIOS
    check on chipset configuration that
    Onboard HD Audio

Enable/disable onboard HD audio. Set to Auto to enable onboard HD audio and

automatically disable it when a sound card is installed. check this is enabled

Front Panel

Enable/disable front panel HD audio. try enabling and plugging in there in case rear port is damaged

Onboard HDMI HD Audio

Enable audio for the onboard digital outputs. - check disabled

12. yvar

yvar Thread Starter

Sorry for the late reply, i tried changing the bios options as you said and that didnt work either. I ended up bringing the pc to a repair shop and it was indeed the motherboard that was damaged, the sound is now fixed, thanks for all the suggestions!

13. Macboatmaster

Pleased you got it sorted, what did they do - put in a sound card or did they manage to repair what I presume was a broken track on the PCB of the motherboard

Thanks for posting the result

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
  14. yvar

yvar Thread Starter

They replaced the entire motherboard, a new sound card wouldn't fit in the old motherboard because the gpu was in the way of the PCI slot, which he said also caused the defect due to the wireless card short-circuiting with the gpu when they touched. Thanks for the all the help.

15. Macboatmaster

You are welcome
    Sorry such a costly event for you

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1150277

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice