1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: pc to pc with a netgear router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Lex.Luthor, Jun 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lex.Luthor

Lex.Luthor Thread Starter

This is a problem that I have been having and been trying to get resolved for a month or so.

The system that I have is a home computer, windows xp sp#3 home version IP static, 192.168.230.2 with a subnet automatically set to 255.255.255.0. The second computer that I use is a laptop, windows 2000 pro, sp#4, static ip is also 192.168.230.30 with a subnet set as well as the first computer. I do not have a problem using the crossover cable and transfereing files that way, but now I have a router in the line and wanted to send the information wireless to the computer A through the router. The router has been changed from it’s original ip of 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.230.70 with the same subnet as the 2 computers.

I can use the command from the computer A and ping the computer A and the router to rule out telecommunication error from one side. When I ping the laptop, nothing. I get timed out. When I do the same on the laptop, I can ping just only the laptop. Then I tried to ping the router, I get timed out as well. Is there anything that I am missing?

I have also shared both drives on both computers as well and the permissions have been set.

The router is a netgear wrg614 that is using dhcp server address within the ip range. Also there is no DSL internet on this rounter, I am trying to use it as a file sharing device between 2 computers.

On the two computers, I have installed the file sharing within the properties of the network connections and they are both on the same network group. There is also close range of ips within the same subnet and no gateway. I’ve tried using with and without the gateway ip address.

Any information will help.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Turn off any firewalls for debugging. If the firewall is the problem, you'll have to configure it to allow access to "trusted zone" addresses. Note that some firewalls must be completely uninstalled to stop them from affecting your networking.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD to open a command prompt.

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands:

PING each remote computer by IP address, and if successful, PING by name. Open a command prompt as described above and type.

PING <ip address>
    or
    PING <computer name>

Where:
    <ip address> - is the x.x.x.x IP address
    <computer name> - is the computer name

A failure to PING is almost always a firewall configuration issue. Any failure to PING needs to be corrected before you go any farther.

Note: You can obtain the IP address and computer name of a computer by opening a command prompt (DOS window) and typing IPCONFIG /ALL. This should work for any Windows version. The IPCONFIG /ALL display will provide a wealth of useful information for debugging your network connection.

Check your Services are Started on all PCs:
    • COM+ Event System (for WZC issues)
    • Computer Browser
    • DHCP Client
    • DNS Client
    • Network Connections
    • Network Location Awareness
    • Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
    • Server
    • TCP/IP Netbios helper
    • Wireless Zero Configuration (XP wireless configurations)
    • WLAN AutoConfig (Vista wireless configurations)
    • Workstation

Note: You can check the services in Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services.

All of these services should be started, and their startup type should be automatic.

If a service is not running, open it's properties and check the dependencies. Check each of the dependencies and see which one is preventing the service from running. Checking the event log is also a good idea here, there may be clues to what is failing.

All computers should be in the same workgroup for computer browsing to function properly. File & Print Sharing has to be enabled on any computer you wish to share files or printers from. You also need to actually share the resource in question from My Computer, right click on the drive/printer/folder, and select sharing.

If you encounter difficulties accessing computers that are visible in Network Places (Network and Sharing Center in Vista), make sure the computer being accessed has an account with the same name/password as the system connecting to it uses to login. NOTE: Vista's default is to require a password on the account to enable file/print sharing.

While the default NetBIOS setting is correct for normal network configurations, it's possible for it to be altered, and it costs nothing to make sure it's correct. NETBIOS over TCP/IP must be enabled for normal network browsing. You can open a command prompt as described above and type the following command: nbtstat -n. This will display the status of NetBIOS or indicate it's not configured.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Now that you have a router why not drop the static IPs and use the far more convenient dynamic addressing?

How are you connecting each computer to the router (ethernet or Wi-Fi)? Your inability to ping the router means that you are not succeeding in connecting (communicating with the router) computer B.

4. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

You need to use straight cables with the router.

5. Lex.Luthor

John Will, I found out that the windows 2000 professional does not really have a firewall installed as per say unless it's a third party. in the IPsec section, there is no rules that have been applied for this computer.

6. Lex.Luthor

TerryNet, I use the static IP because I also an using Ultravnc on both computers so that I can use the desktop instead of using remote desktop. Dynamic addressing is something that I am not familar with.

Frank4D, you're right with this router I needed to use straight cable instead of cross over. I've done this before without the router. Now that I do have a router, I do not use the cross over cable anymore unless is use it in the field for a staight peer to peer hookup.

In computer A is attached to the computer via staright cable to the router. Computer b (laptop) is trying to attach using Trendnet wireless card. The laptop has picked up the wireless signal and has a lan connection configured for it. I've went into the router and attached the wireless card by using the ip reservation and mac address into the router. I just cannot ping the computer a or the router. The problem must be in the laptop.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Using IP reservation in the router is great; now change the wireless connection to use dynamic addressing so that it can take advantage of the reservation.

You'll then be able to tell whether the computer and router are communicating even before trying a ping. If still not communicating, disable encryption on the router and try to connect. Assuming success you should be able to re-enable encryption and reconnect.

8. Lex.Luthor

I will give this a try and post a message to see if this will work or not.

9. Lex.Luthor

Boo ya,

Got if taken care of.

Kudos to TerryNet. I disabled the WEP, went to the laptop, changed the home profile on the wireless connection and saved the profile without the WEP key, pinged the decktop's ip and got a connection. I also managed to get a connection through the router and was able to change the settings on the router using the laptop. Before that was only done with the desktop. Once I got the connection, I then changed the wireless setting to enable the WEP key and got the same connection again. I think that before I must have gotten the letters mixed up since the WEP key is case sensitive.

Thanks to all that helped!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/836612

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice