1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: PC Upgrade Boot Fail.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Clownez, Mar 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Clownez

Clownez Thread Starter

So, I gathered some money to upgrade my computer. My old rig specs were:
    GFX: Radeon HD 6770
    Case: Raidmax Sagitta
    PSU: Raidmax 550W PSU that came with the case
    Motherboard: h61m-s2pv
    CPU: Intel Core i7 2700k
    RAM: 8gb
    Hard Drive: 500GB WD Blue

I bought this PC from a local store already built so I know the parts don't suit each other well.
    I recently bought a Gigabyte Radeon r9 280x, Arctic Freezer 13, Evga G2 750W Gold certified, WD Blue 1TB.
    I installed everything correctly (plugged everything from PSU in where it's supposed to go, DVI cable in GFX). When I tried booting my system I got no monitor response whatsoever, no sound, no display, no nothing. I contacted a friend who is good at tech and he told me to uninstall GFX drivers from my 6770, which I did using my Onboard graphics and also all AMD software. I even went into the BIOS menu and made sure my card was using the PCI slot by changing the option from "auto". I disabled integrated graphics and still no monitor response after boot. I tried using my old 6770 and that booted fine, so I didn't break anything while upgrading. I know my motherboard is not great, but I currently do not have the money to upgrade both a CPU and board. However, this card should be compatible with this old motherboard.

Does anyone have any other ideas as to how I could possibly get my card working, I would greatly appreciate it. Otherwise, I might just be unlucky and stuck with a faulty card.....

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If it's a faulty card you can always return it or get warranty replacement.

If possible try the video card in another PC.

3. CleaverX

CleaverX

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Also, which H61M-S2PV motherboard revision do you have? There's a 1.0, 2.0, 2.1, and 2.2 version. Should be marked on the motherboard near the model number. And what BIOS version do you have?

5. Clownez

Clownez Thread Starter

Yes, I plugged in both the 6-pin and 8-pin adapters directly from the PSU into the graphics card for both cables.

6. Clownez

Clownez Thread Starter

I am not sure which BIOS version I have, most likely something outdated. My h61m-s2pv is a rev 2.0. I don't have another PC to put the card into, if all else fails, I will ask for a card replacement.

7. Clownez

Clownez Thread Starter

Solved the issue, Updated the BIOS. Thank you very much :)

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Glad to hear (y)

Version 2.0 of that motherboard did have graphics card issues that was addressed by the latest BIOS.

Also, for future reference, you can see the BIOS version when you boot up the computer if you hit ESC or TAM to see the post screens or if you enter the BIOS setup.

9. Clownez

Clownez Thread Starter

Yeah awesome, lesson learned for me I guess, thanks for the tip :) However not everything has been fixed... My CPU cooler isn't doing anything, definitely installed it improperly as it is my first time :( 67 degrees Celsius in the bios, will probably need to re-apply after buying more thermal compound.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You are correct in that the cooler is not installed correctly. One or more of the push-pins is not fully seated. I looked at the pics of your cooler and it looks like it does not use a backplate installed on the backside of the mb. It seems to use the regular intel type push-pins. For this type of hsf, I always recommend pulling the mb out of the case to install the hsf. This is for two reasons;

1 With the board out of the case, you can check the back of the board to be sure all of the pins are fully seated/engaged.

2 With the board out of the case, you can support the mb while pushing on the pins. With the intels, you have to push so hard that the mb pcb flexes and I am always fearful of cracking the pcb and or breaking a solder trace.

It is possible to R&R an intel type hsf with the board in the case, just my recommendation to pull the mb.

11. Clownez

Clownez Thread Starter

I could do that, however, for the moment I just reinstalled it (took the entire heat sink off and screwed it back in). I didn't use any new thermal compound and it is currently getting decent temperatures (60 degrees maximum for every core in black ops 2 zombies). However, if I find that what I did doesn't last, I'm glad I know what my problem could be (Pins aren't fully seated at the back of the board), thanks for the advice :)

12. Clownez

Clownez Thread Starter

I will actually make sure today to take a look at the back of the board to see if I have placed the push pins correctly via taking off the back case panel.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1144340

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice