1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: PC user + Mac = networking confusion

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by cancon, Jan 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cancon

cancon Thread Starter

Hi, I am a PC user, but I also have a PowerPC G4 which I use for graphic design etc. I was wondering how I can connect two macs using a crossover cable, as I am used to the XP way... How do I set it up on a mac, and how do I make a folder shared so I can transfer files???

Anyone can do a step-by-step????

2. cancon

cancon Thread Starter

3. MSM Hobbes

MSM Hobbes

Have the same situation, but have not attempted as of yet. However, do have the following in my bookmarks that may help ya somewhat:

some Apple info:
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=19652
    http://www.apple.com/business/mac_pc/networking.html
    http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/windows/

possibly best in-depth info:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=54704

somewhat dated:
    http://aroundcny.com/technofile/texts/bit060502.html
    http://lowendmac.com/mac2win/02/1007.html

There are others, but just to get ya started... :)

4. cancon

cancon Thread Starter

thx man

5. Headrush

Headrush

Simple as:
    1. Enable Personal File Sharing in Sharing Section of System Preferences
    2. Make sure both machine have an IP on the same subnet
    3. On the second machine in Finder, Under Go menu select Connect To
    4. Select browse and select the other users machine
    5. You can now connect as Guest and access files from the other users Public folder

Of course you can do more like setup accounts for specific users and or use other protocols like ftp.

6. cancon

cancon Thread Starter

thanx a lot

7. drummerbull

drummerbull

If you are looking to transfer the files with out actually having both computers connected to a network, like you would with a crossover cable, you would need a firewire cable.

1. Connect both computers with a firewire cable.
    2. Have one computer already booted
    3. Boot the other machine and hold down the "T" button at start up

Holding down the "T" button will start up your mac as a target drive for what ever computer it is connected to. Your hard drive on this machine will show up as a removable hard drive on the machine that is already booted. Then you can just access the files as though they were actually on a hd in your box. This is a very fast way to transfer files between machines if they aren't on the same network.

8. cancon

cancon Thread Starter

Oh my god - that's amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG!!!!!!!!

NO WAY????

Is there any way 2 do this on a pc?

9. VegasACF

VegasACF

Of course it's amazing. It's a Mac.

10. cancon

cancon Thread Starter

yeah yeah yeah...

ok - i get it but u mac ppl really do brag

:D

11. VegasACF

VegasACF

It's not bragging when it's true.

12. cancon

cancon Thread Starter

;)

I'm slowly becoming a mac person...

I just hate how they are so incompatible - You can find third-party software for relatively anything on a pc for free, whereas anything from fully blown graphics productions suites to security patches are so mucher harder to find...

When macs become more widely accepted... I'll be a mac person

13. VegasACF

VegasACF

There's still hope for you...

The only incompatibilities are in the coding of the software. The files produced therein are, in most regards, completely compatible. There may be exceptions, but only when there is not a Mac equivalent of the specific software you're using. And, as far as mission-critical software goes, that number is very small, indeed. Especially now that Intel-based Macs can natively run Windows.

I'm not sure I follow what you mean. Third-party software means what? Anything that is not produced by the manufacturer of the OS is third-party (since the first and second parties, when it comes to the Macintosh, are both Apple). What kind of free software are you looking for? By and large, what is available for "free" is not worth the money. Yes, I realize that seems to be a contradiction. But I'm paying for my Internet connection, so therefore everything I do online is not for "free."

While there may be more freeware out there for the Windows OS, the vast majority of it is not worth my, or your, download time. The same argument as this has been made about games on the Mac OS. Yes, there are far fewer games available, when compared one for one, on the Mac OS. But the games that do make it to the Mac OS are the best of the best. And whenever they finally arrive on the Mac platform we get the advantage of already getting the bug fixes and, often, expansion packs included all for the same price that our Windows counterparts paid when the game first arrived on the scene.

Outside the area of gaming, most of the things that are available for free for the Windows side of the aisle are created to enhance the experience of using the Windows OS. A large number of these "enhancements" are things that are already built into the Mac OS.

If you just mean screen savers, well, there are plenty out there for the Mac OS, and, frankly, these serve little purpose other than to make you computer look like it's doing something when you're not using it. Screen burn-in doesn't really happen any more. Screen savers serve no real function any more, other than for that of a conversation piece.

Please let me know what other area you might mean. I will do my best to assuage your fears of going over to the Mac OS. I am the first to admit that there are some areas where Windows is still the king. But with the advent of Intel-based Macs there is no reason not to get a Mac and experience the best of both worlds.

I don't want to invoke Godwin's Law here, but this is what this line of thinking smacks of, so I am left with little choice:

When they came for the communists,
    I remained silent;
    I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats,
    I remained silent;
    I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,
    I did not speak out;
    I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for me,
    there was no one left to speak out.

Of course the computer platform you choose does not have such horrible ramifications, but if you're going to wait for everyone else to go a certain direction you'll find yourself being the last of those who haven't gone in that direction.

Why wait for all your neighbors to get onboard? Why not show them the way?

14. cancon

cancon Thread Starter

:D

I am sorry Vegas - I don't mean to be rude, but your reaction was totally predictable - I honestly thought when i wrote the last post that someone would reply with the computer equivalent of the magna carta.

Okay, I am not against macs - I use one practically every day! - It's old, but I use it for the school yearbook. It was what started to bring me over - the whole "MAC" concept is brilliant. And I totally agree with you. It's innovative. It's original. It's great. The only problem is that there is not enough freeware out there. I understand your point but to be perfuctly honest, It's not true. Codecs, Multimedia Splitters, Converters, and open-source software are all much more widely available on a PC than a mac.

Games, of which I play a lot of, are not available on a mac. It is hard to find more that 10 (good) games on a mac to play, and it is really boring to play the same game 24/7 for mor than 2 months. For me anyway. I hope I haven't offended any of you "world of warcraft" players. You still have a point with bugs and fixes and expansions available first-hand on a mac, but there are still not enough.

Until the mac becomes a fully-supported operating system, I am not willing to abandon windows.

And I can't afford a new, intel-based, mac.

15. shyataroo

shyataroo

TEN REALLY REALLY GOOD GAMES FOR MAC:

1. Doom 3
    2. Halo
    3. WoW
    4. EverCrack II
    5. Escape Velocity 1,2,3
    6. Heroes of Might and Magic III-V
    7. Black and White 2
    8. Kill monty
    9. Wingnuts
    10.Sims 2

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!