1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: PC will not boot, please help!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Joystik, Oct 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Joystik

Joystik Thread Starter

Hi, forgive the long winded explanation but I am desperate...

Recently purchased new components and re-built my machine. Since completion I've had nothing but problems and it's been a nightmare. I desperately need to find a fix.

PC specs; Q9550 (new), Asus P5Q-E (new), Win XP Pro SP2, 74Gb WD Raptor SATA, 200gb Seagate Barracuda IDE, Asus EAH3450 (new), 4x 1GB DDR2 Corsair Dominator PC2-8500 (new), Antec P150 case with Antec HE430 watt PSU. It may be worth moving i have 5/1 usb/firewire devices connected being various music production devices.

PC worked initially (built 3rd October) temps ran high every now and again approaching 68o C on rare occasions but generally 30-35o. After about an hour it crashed and re-booted, then continued to do this every couple of hours. I read numerous possible reasons to do with the mb bios and the Asus features i.e. Xpert Drive, etc. so sort about updating and disabling as necessary in the bios. Then whilst in Bios CPU temperature soared to 90o and bounced up and down by 5o for no apparent reason. It stayed this way... Soon after Windows wouldn't start due to the temp I'm guessing and the machine would repeatedly re-boot as it began to launch windows.

Assuming it was a temp problem I switched from the stock heatsink that came with my processor to a tower (Thermaltake TT102), applying fresh compound. Now my PC won't even boot! I get no beep from the PC speaker, nothing. Power is being fed through to the motherboard as it lights up and powers up. Fans spin and the HDD activity light lights up but that's as far as it goes... Monitor remains in sleep mode during this time nothing comes on the screen. I tried to switch back to the factory heatsink, still doesn't work. Now to make matters worse the last couple of times I have tried to power it up, the machines power cuts out during the process. Sometimes this happens right at the beginning, other times after a few minutes. It only does it the once.

Please Please help or advise if you can I am beyond desperate and insane at this point. If you need more info let me know.

Thanks,

Marvin

2. BG-0

BG-0

Before torturing it anymore, replace the power supply.. It is quite propably gone bad, and if so, could've broken other components, and could further do so if tried to boot with..
    EDIT: or test it in any way possible...

3. ryanjoachim

ryanjoachim

I definately think your main issue right now is a fried psu. It was underpowered in the first place for all the new components.

One thing to try is disconnect everything from the psu except for the motherboard and see if you can get it to post. If you can, it's an underpowered psu. If not, it's a blown psu.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I agree, the first thing I would do would be to swap in a known good power supply. While antec has a good reputation, I have had a few failed units lately. Next what bios are you running? Asus lists three ver of the q9550 and different bios for different stepping.

At this time, I would swap in a known good ps and go for an out of the case build. Once you are sure the board posts, then you can reinstall the board in the case.

FWIW I always recommend pulling the board to install a hsf on a socket 775. The reason for this is that the four push pins can be a real pain for a new builder. Once you have done a few, they are no big deal. With the board out of the case, you can inspect the back of the board to make sure all four pins are fully engaged.

5. Joystik

Joystik Thread Starter

Hi,

Thanks for the rapid responses. After reflecting on the situation I began thinking the PSU might be an issue and you've all made me feel so even more. When I originally built the machine not much was done with it so 430w was adequate. I unfortunately don't have a spare but will purchase one tomorrow. Can anyone recommend a wattage to aim for 600-700w or 700-800w?

I will try the machine now with everything unplugged and see what happens.

I never got to update the bios so it was running the first release I think I can't remember the version number but the build was around September.

The pins weren't such an issue on the heatsink as it's not the first I've built, but it's the first to go wrong and I'm completely out of my comfort zone now.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Just because you built it in Sept, does not mean much. That board could have set at the seller's for a while before you got it.

As for pw supplies, I like FSP, Seasonic, Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, or the high end coolmax, units. Do be careful since coolmax also builds very low quality along with the high end ones. With a ps, watts mean next to nothing. It is the amps on the 12V rail that is important. The reason is that just about everything in a modern system is powered from the 12V rail. Having a lot of watts on the 3.3V or 5V is just about useless.

BTW asus boards usually ship with a sticker on the bios chip that has the ver #

7. Joystik

Joystik Thread Starter

crjdriver thanks for the advice. I must admit I had no idea what you were talking about in regards to 12v and so on, it was all new to me. I've done a fair bit of research and I understand now. A few websites have reported nearly all the errors I mentioned and a PSU upgrade, plus bios flash seemed to be the answer. I've narrowed it down to two psu choices from your list and researched, but wondered if someone could point out the better of the two. The two psu's are:

1. Corsair TX750 ATX 2.2 Quad
    2. PC Power & Cooler 750w Quad

Both have a 60amp (or watt unsure of correct term) single12v rail. If it helps I have no plans to buy dual pci express gpu. I might possibly upgrade my graphics card in the next year but at the most it would be around the HD 3850 spec. The PC Power is over my budget so the corsair would be a favourite, but if the PC is better I have no problems spending a little more.

Which should I go for? I hope to buy it today maybe.

Thanks again everyone you've helped loads.

8. BG-0

BG-0

PC P&C is quite equal or even a bit lower in quality against Corsair. Both of the will be almost too much power and quality for your needs. They would run a Radeon 4870X2 well.
    If you can get Corsair 650 W for decently less, get that...

9. Joystik

Joystik Thread Starter

BG-O Thanks...

Now I really really am confused... I went to a local shop to check out some prices as I'd rather not have to wait for delivery. He turned around and told me that 750w was not enough for what I have and I should get a 900w/1000w :eek:.. I'm assuming he is talking a load of baloney and trying to get money out of me, even more so as he was suggesting Tagans over the PC power, BFG, Corsair and some others... am I right? I used a couple of calculators to estimate as well and they are more in line with the 650 you suggest BG-O. Can I please list my total devices, setup and usage, then get a suggested psu power to go after and the recommend 12v amp.

Intel Q9550, Asus P5Q-E, 4gb DDR2 Ram, 74gb Sata Drive(7200), 250gb IDE (5400), Asus HD3450 (possible upgrade to 4850 in future), 1x DVD-RW/CD-RW, 1x DVD drive, 3x PCI device (Wi-Fi, PCI card), 3x USB 100mah (or so) devices, 1x Firewire (Audio Interface), 6x 500mah (or there abouts) devices. For the most part that's all I can remember...

The machines main use is music production. Running Cubase, Soundforge, Vegas and a host of power draining VSTs Kontakt, Battery, EZ Drummer etc. Linked up with various controllers and interfaces i.e. TC Konnekt 24D, Novation Remote, AKai MPD, etc (apologies if your not familiar with any of these devices). Aside from this internet surfing, the odd game in the future and music playback.

Will the TX650 suffice? If so I'll order it now, it's a good £30 cheaper and the PSU is an expense I could really do without as it is.

Thoughts?:confused:

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Yes, he is trying to sell you more than you need. I bet the price quoted was around $180~200 or so. Here is a link to a decent psu that will do the job for you AND it has free shipping; $79 total. Note it has 4 12V rails with 18amps on each rail.

Newegg link

11. win2kpro

win2kpro

I'll throw my 2 cents in for what it's worth. If money is not a problem I would go for the PC Power & Cooling 750 watt silencer.

Personally, I am not a fan (no pun intened) of multi +12v rail power supplys. With a large single +12v rail, you have no worrys about power sharing between rails. Corsair is the only manufacturer I am aware of that has a multi +12v rail power supply that will power share between +12v rails, and that is on their HX series which are modular, and I wouldn't ever buy a modular unit.

I switched to PC P&C a couple of years ago for about 80% of my builds and have had absolutely no problem with their products.

I would take a PC P&C unit any day over a Corsair unit.

12. BG-0

BG-0

I'd say TX650 will suffice. Am I right in this? crj and win2k seemede to discuss everything else than that... And newegg is no option, as OP's in UK, right? Sorry for saying Corsair over PC P&C...

13. win2kpro

win2kpro

Don't get me wrong, Corsair makes good products. The warranty for the Corsair unit was not shown at Newegg, but I went to the manuafcturers site and there is a 5 year warranty on the TX750 which is the same warranty that PC P&C provides.

After rebate the prices shown at Newegg would be $109.00 for the Corsair or $129.00 for the PC P&C S75QB.

14. Joystik

Joystik Thread Starter

Hey,

Cool, thanks a lot for the info to you both. Well that's one thing out of the way then, I'm going to check the prices tonight and see how much I can get either the Corsair TX650, PC Pow Silencer 610 or PC Pow Silencer 750 and order what I can. Dropped the TX750 out of the equation as I've heard that it's not Seasonic OEM and that TX650 is. Plus as pointed out by crj that much power isn't necessary. However, if the PC Pow 750 isn't that much more I'll go for it to 'future proof...'.

It probably won't arrive until Tuesday but once setup, I'll let you all know how I got on. That then leaves me to deal with the ridiculous stock heatsink temps (and my 3rd party heat sink) and the crashes. From what I've read anyway I think I totally screwed up the thermal application anyway so I'll give it a shot. Is it worth sticking with the stock or using my thermal tower? It's an old Thermaltake TT102 and has an Antec Tricool fan screwed to it.

Anyway really appreciate the help thus far, I will let you know how I get on once which ever PSU arrives.

15. Joystik

Joystik Thread Starter

Yup I am in the UK unfortunately.. prices seem to relate quite well over here in comparison to the US so it will be pretty similar. The Corsair is the in between so in the back of my mind I think I have kind of decided on this. Just depends on the prices I guess... Having a look at the moment.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755911

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice