1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: PC will not recognise any keyboard

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Jayjay123, Oct 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jayjay123

Jayjay123 Thread Starter

My son said he was on Sype talking and the PC froze. He rebooted only to find that the PC would not recognise any commands fromthe keyboard.I have several keyboards so i tried different ones,but to no avail. I rebooted several times. same thing. The computer starts up, gets to the windows logo and either continues to try to boot, or I get a blank screen. I tried the F8, delete, different keys but its reading nothing. When I reboot the PC sometimes it brings me to the window that asks me if I want to start normally, or in safe mode, or in Best last known configuration...etc, but when I try to move the arrow keys...once again...it doesnt recognise anything.
    Any ideas?

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

Are you trying both usb and ps2 keyboards? Next step would be to get into bios and reset the defaults but to help you get to the bios, we need to know details about the computer.

3. Jayjay123

Jayjay123 Thread Starter

I wish I could give you specific details but without getting into the PC, Im not very helpful. However,I'll try....
    it has an intel qx6600 quad core extreme chip
    Nvidia 9800 GT
    Xp pro service pack 2
    Asus P5K/P5KC motherboard
    4g ddr2 ram
    Im not sure if you need anything else but letme know..
    thanks
    liz

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

That's fine but what about answers to type of keyboard and bios settings also critical?

5. Jayjay123

Jayjay123 Thread Starter

the keyboard is a BTC,model 6200C. As for the Bios settings...I have no clue.I'm unable to get into the PC for the info without a keyboard?

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

OK one more time and bear in mind we cannot help you unless you answer this specific question. You said you used more than 1 keyboard and we need to know IF YOU USED USB AND PS2 keyboards to try to see if they worked?

7. Jayjay123

Jayjay123 Thread Starter

sorry, my bad...
    I only used USB keyboards.

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

OK I would try to borrow a PS2 keyboard to try as well. To enter the bios on most pc's you press "del", F1 or F2 continuously after pressing the power button and until you see you are entering setup. If you tell us the brand name pc and model, I can be more specific as there are other entries for some other brands as well. Once in the bios or setup if you look for sometimes "Integrated Peripherals" but it could be under any heading as again we don't have a clue about anything on your pc, you want to see if usb keyboard and mouse is enabled. If you cannot find that simply selecting "Reset to optimized Default Settings" or equivalent should answer about the bios anyway.

9. Jayjay123

Jayjay123 Thread Starter

OK....I found an old PS2 keyboard lying around in one of the boxes...It seems The PC is working off this keyboard. except once all the programs booted up, it looks like I have a virus or a trojan...my desktop has a blue screen that tells me I need to download softwaRE.
    any idea why it doesnt read USB keyboards?

10. Jayjay123

Jayjay123 Thread Starter

I am printing out your instructions above and will follow then re; the bios.
    thanks

11. Rich-M

Rich-M

Download and install this then update and run a complete scan, then reboot and run again.
    Let us know what it finds.
    www.superantispyware.com

Resetting the bios defaults might make the usb work incidentally but you need to do that scan first.

12. Jayjay123

Jayjay123 Thread Starter

Adware Generic3 TZP
    Adware Generic3 TXV
    Adware Generic3 RFI
    Adware Generic3 UCX
    Trojan Horse Downloader.agent.AMIP
    Trojan Horse Downloader.agent. ALYU
    Trojan Horse Downloader.agent. AELT
    trojan Horse agent AELT

My husband custom built the PC and at the moment is in San Francisco and I'm in Utah, otherwise I would have got him to look at the problem for me. He says there is no brand name but its an ASUS Bios.
    I looked under the "custom" in the Bios and this was the info on the PC:
    ASUS BIOS
    Version 0903
    Build date: 12/11/07
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) Quad CPU @2.66GHz
    Speed: 2666MHz
    Count 4
    I'm not sure if this bit of info helps for you.

13. Rich-M

Rich-M

Reboot update and run again but choose "the complete scan" not "quick scan"

14. Jayjay123

Jayjay123 Thread Starter

thanks.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756158

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice