1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: PC won't autoboot/autostart...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by laceycat, Sep 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. laceycat

laceycat Thread Starter

For some time now, our computer has displayed a message when its switched on. The motherboard message appears and instead of startup happening, the wording on the black screen hangs and I have to press the F1 key to then enable the pc to boot or startup. When F1 is pressed, Windows XP loads up ok.

I don't have a clue whereabouts in the BIOS to check what has been changed or to sort this problem. One of our kids must have been messing around and now its real annoying.

It Pheonix AwardBIOS v6 and there is a message which reads this

"Warning! Insert Key presed or Clock GEN. Watch Dog Reset. Please enter them in Setup, and save settings before exit!

Up to now we've ignored it and just pressed F1 to continue.

Can someone please tell me which bit of the BIOS to go to and what setting to change please?

2. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

With no info about your PC it's kind of hard to be certain, but many systems have a Watch Dog feature that will reset the system if an application freezes the PC for a specified number of seconds which can be set in the BIOS. Anywhere from 5 sec to 4 minutes or more.

Often all you need to do is Enter Setup (BIOS) and then exit to clear the message, no settings need to be changed.

Other systems you need to enter the BIOS, then save settings and exit.

Or it could be something entirely different.

No way to tell without knowing the Make/Model of your PC or Motherboard. With that we can track down the User Guide which should have the steps needed.

HTH

Jerry

3. laceycat

laceycat Thread Starter

OK this problem has been resolved now. I went into the Bios and there was a mesage saying to F5 to revert to original values and when I did that on a couple of screens the problem was gone and now the machine boots up fine. Thanks

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752841

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice