1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: PC won't boot, GPU fan is loud

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by yasdnil85, Jan 14, 2015.

?

What's your guess?

1. GPU

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Mobo

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  3. PSU

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. yasdnil85

yasdnil85 Thread Starter

Hello!

This morning I turned on my PC to discover that it won't boot. No beeps, sounds, visual, etc. Just a very loud fan sound. I opened it up and my GPU fan is the culprit.

The fan is spinning just fine but very loud and at 100% revs. No smells. I tried unplugging everything. Also reset the CMOS. Not sure if it's relevant but holding the power switch no longer cuts the power; I've had to switch it off from the PSU.

A bit of background that may be relevant: The PC is quite new (within 2 years). In Oct last year the PC started smoking (!) and I had to replace the very smelly PSU. There didn't appear to be any other damage. I suppose the mobo may have been damaged from the faulty PSU. Also, once or twice in the last week Windows tells me it was shut down incorrectly (not that I know of), it tries to repair, and then boots just fine again.

As I see it, it could be the GPU, PSU or mobo. Unfortunately I don't have any substitute parts to test. I'm basically broke, so I'd like to narrow it down and try as much as possible before taking it in to a store or buying parts.

Many thanks.

Components:
    Mobo: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3
    PSU: Corsair CX600
    GPU: Geforce GT640
    RAM: Kingston 8gb

2. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Hi and welcome to TSG.

My initial thoughts would be PSU or possibly the motherboard, CPU is also a possibility!

The Corsair CX (builder series) aren't particularly great units. They should only really be used for basic builds and are not really up to the additional stressed applied by gaming systems, in particular dedicated GPUs. What was your old PSU (make, model and wattage)? Having said that, the GT640 is a mid - low end card really now with low power consumption (recommded is a 350w PSU).

What CPU are you using?

Have a very close and detailed look at the motherboard and check for any bulged / leaking capacitors.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If this is a self / custom build, it might be worth running through the troubleshooting guide here.

3. yasdnil85

yasdnil85 Thread Starter

Hi, thank you for your welcome.

The PC was built Jan 2013.

My first PSU was a Powercool 450W 80+. I realized it wasn't quite up to task. Embarrassingly, I don't remember the CPU! It's an AMD though ... sorry!

I don't do a *ton* of gaming, maybe a few hours a week on average. Nor do I even use the PC every day. Yesterday I was doing my taxes for a few hours and before that it was probably a week of not using it.

Had a good look at the mobo and no issues with the capacitors that I can tell. They all look fresh and normal.

4. yasdnil85

yasdnil85 Thread Starter

For anyone else that may be interested, I borrowed a PSU and my PC loaded up just fine! So I supposed my PSU died, which is a relief since it's the easiest and cheapest option!

5. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    I would seriously think about what you are buying and I would strongly recommend putting a bit of money into a good quality PSU. Going for the cheap option is, unfortunately, what got you here in the first place, you have been lucky this time if just the PSU has blown as they can quite easily pass a voltage on to the motherboard and blow that and/or CPU and/or RAM aswell.

I would strongly recommend looking for a good quality, 450w+ unit from someone like Corsair (HX, AX and TX models only), Seasonic, PC Power and Cooling or OCZ for example. Look for a good warranty, ideally 5 years.

I used to be the same with PSUs and bought cheaper ones, ever since I have bought quality units and ensured it was sufficient for my system I have not had an single one blow, saved me a fortune in the long run.

6. yasdnil85

yasdnil85 Thread Starter

Hi Tanis, thank you for taking the time to give me some advice.

I'm on a tight budget. Do you think a Corsair HX750i would be suitable for my specs?

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3
    PSU: Corsair CX600
    GPU: Geforce GT640
    RAM: Kingston 8gb
    CPU: AMD fx 4100 quad core. 3.6ghZ

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1141161

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice