1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: PC Won't Boot (Sort Of)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GeneratorYushiro, Apr 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GeneratorYushiro

GeneratorYushiro Thread Starter

I built a PC for my sister several months ago, and it was running fine until last weekend. They had a power outage (the PC was on a surge protector however, and it was a full outage, not just a surge). Now, the computer will boot, but won't get past simply listing the processor and that Dual-Memory mode is active. It doesn't even get to the point that'd normally be on the same screen where it lists all SATA devices, etc. I can't access the BIOS or boot menu, but keyboard support is active, at least for a second. Do you think the problem is the BIOS itself or the entire motherboard? The PC is running WIn 7, which doesn't really seem relevant, since it can't even get to the point that it would try to read the hard drives. The motherboard is an AS Rock K10N78M. The RAM, HD's, and graphics card all appear to be fine. I can understand some function of the mobo possibly having been fried, but if it's just the BIOS, I don't really understand how a power outage would have affected it.

2. GeneratorYushiro

GeneratorYushiro Thread Starter

Well, I managed to reset the BIOS using the jumper on the mobo, but at first it basically seemed to have the same problem with it not doing anything (only now with the original AS Rock boot-up image stuck there instead) but after about 1/2 an hour, the damn thing just seemed to fix itself and is back to running normally. I'd still sure like to know why it would take so long to boot after a power outage and then just go back to being normal.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916663

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice