1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: PC won't boot with 2 sticks of memory

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by smithe26, Jul 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. smithe26

smithe26 Thread Starter

I bought a PC 2 months ago, decided to upgrade the memory to 1gig. I purchased 2 512mb DDR2 PC4200. Both sticks work fine when used alone. However when both sticks are in together the PC won't boot up.

The motherboard is an ECS RC410-M LGA775 DDR-2 PCI-e x16 HP rev 1.1.

The processor is an P4 930 dual core 3.0 mhz.

The bios is RC410-M v1.04 10/25/2006.

FAQ on ECS.com.tw web site suggest changing the DIMM Voltage Adjust Functions in the BIOS. However I do not see such an entry in the bios.

Is there something else I need to do to get the PC to run with both sticks of memory in it?

Help me....I have games to play!

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Are they identical?

3. smithe26

smithe26 Thread Starter

Yes identical Kingston memory.

4. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

How many slots for memory on the MOBO?

5. smithe26

smithe26 Thread Starter

2 slots. Its capable of 2 gig memory.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Do you have a good diagram of the mb? Is there a jumper that might adjust the voltage as you mentioned?

What OS are you running and how far into the boot process do you get?

7. smithe26

smithe26 Thread Starter

running XP sp2. With the 2 sticks of memory it either never displays anything, or the initial splash screen of an E comes up which has vertical lines running through it. On a normal boot the E is solid. Either way it quits very quickly after power up.

I don't have a diagram of the board. I have looked the board over but never found anything like that.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

How about the slots themselves? Did you try a single stick in both slots or only the first?

9. smithe26

smithe26 Thread Starter

No haven't tried that. I will tonight though.

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

OK. In the meantime, I'll look through the manual for that board to see what I find.

11. smithe26

smithe26 Thread Starter

The PC boots up fine with 1 stick of 512mg in the 2nd slot, nothing in the first slot. I put the 2nd stick on memory in, so now both slots are populated with identical ram, and nothing.

So the 512mg stick in the first slot is removed and replaced with the 256mg ram that came with the PC. So now it has 256mg in slot 1, 512mg in slot 2 and the PC boots up.

SO now what?

Could it be my "identical" 512mg ram are not really identical?

They have the same stickers/markings on them. I bought them at the same time, the packages have the same stock # on them. Any ideas?

12. Elvandil

Elvandil

I don't see anything on the site or in the manual that would explain this. In fact, there is no reason that the 2 need to be identical, and it sure sounds like they are.

Can you get into BIOS with both installed, or is the machine completely dead? Exactly how far does it go?

If you can get into BIOS, compare the readings in the PC Health section for voltages and so on and see if there is any difference when you have a bootable and non-bootable situation.

13. smithe26

smithe26 Thread Starter

ok here's what I did:

I tested both sticks individually in both slots and everything worked. (Stick1 in slot 1, 1 in 2, 2 in 1 & 2 in 2) The voltage readings where identical in every situation.

After exiting BIOS I let the pc start up windows, made sure everything looked good. On the very last test (stick 2 in slot 2) the PC began to reboot on its own shortly after window came up. Non stop. I switched that stick to slot 1 and the same thing.

Removed stick 2, put stick 1 in slot 1 and powered up. Went into BIOS, same volt readings, got into Windows no problem.

So this leads me to believe that maybe stick 2 of the memory is bad. Anyone agree?

14. gascan

gascan Banned

exchange the slots,make sure they are TIGHT,i had that kinda problem b4,i unplug the rams and put them back and they worked

15. Elvandil

Elvandil

Sounds like stick 2 has some sort of problem all right.

Microsoft Memory Test (floppy or CD ISO image)
    Memtest86

Download this zip file:

Memtest Download

Unzip it. Put a floppy in your drive. Click on Install in the unzipped folder. It will ask what drive. Usually, A:

When done, put the floppy in your machine and start it. The memory test will start automatically. Let it run through all the tests (or all night).

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/603381

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice