1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: pc wont cold boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by biagrin, Jun 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. biagrin

biagrin Thread Starter

right here we go.

HARDWARE:
    HDD: maxtor 160gb SATA 2
    MOBO: gigabyte ga-k8nf-9 (rev 1.2) http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=1860
    PROCESSOR: athlon 64 3800+ 939
    BIOS: award v6.0xxx

basically when i switch on the pc from cold the drive isnt recognized and the OS wont boot. The drive is not recognized in the BIOS either.

if i reset the pc (warm boot) then it will recognize the drive and boot. it will also recognize the drive within BIOS but it will list it as IDE channel 2 master.

can anybody tell me why it wont cold boot?

thanks in advance for any help.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Cold boot problems that disappear after a reboot are very often power supply problems.

Post your brand and wattage of power supply.

3. biagrin

biagrin Thread Starter

its an antec smartblue 350watt

id just like to point out that this isnt an occasional or sporadic problem. this happens every time without fail. all componants are brand new as well.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Your ps should be fine. Pull the drive and slave it to another system. Now see if you still have this problem. This will show you if it is a drive problem OR a motherboard / controller problem.

5. biagrin

biagrin Thread Starter

the only problem is that i dont have another system with sata.

im actually drawn to it being a drive problem rather than the mobo. the reason is because when i changed the sata port that the drive was plugged into on the mobo - the first boot up screen gave away some clues. normally the first boot screen will display the following

ide channel 0 master - dvd drive
    ide channel 0 slave - none
    ide channel 1 master - none
    ide channel 1 slave - none

however when i changed the sata port to port 2 the first boot screen displayed the following:

ide channel 0 master - dvd drive
    ide channel 0 slave - none
    ide channel 1 master - none
    ide channel 1 slave - none

detecting ide drives.......

ide channel 4 master - none

now that says to me that the mobo knows that something is there but the device isnt responding. the hdd light will then remain on until the pc is either reset or switched off.

6. Striker840

Striker840

Reset your BIOS, I had the same issue with a pc that I put a new board in. When I would do a cold boot, or even a restart it would see the drives but would not boot. I would have to kill the power and immediately reboot and it would fire.

I cleared bios and it works like a charm.

7. biagrin

biagrin Thread Starter

wow i clicked load optimized defaults in BIOS and bang! worked perfectly.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/586438

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice