1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: PC won't detect my webcam after installing XP pro

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by non-techy75, Mar 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. non-techy75

non-techy75 Thread Starter

Hi, I hope you can help me. I installed Windows XP pro on my PC, HP Pavilion a610n desktop. Now the pc won't detect my webcam it says it needs installer or something but I used this before (original OS was XP home).

On the device manager there are yellow ? on Generic Digital Camera and Multimedia video controller (under Other Devices) I don't know what to download for this driver. Please help.

2. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    u say it worked before? if it did u were on xp home now u are on xp pro. u have changed operating systems. did your webcam come with an driver cd? hopefully it did. install the driver from the cd and it should work. another thing you can try in the device manager at the top there will be 2 boxes with red xs i think one says disable and the other one says delete where the yellow triangle is hit whats highlighted as being a problem and if im correct hit the delete and when u reboot the computer it should install the correct driver for u if the other suggestion doesnt work.hope this helps u. if not someone else may have another solution.

3. non-techy75

Thanks for ur response. Yes I changed operatinf systems because my recovery discs for XP home did not work and since I already have XP pro installer, I installed it instead.

The webcam did not come with CD installer. I just plugged it in (USB) and it worked fine before.

I tried ur suggestion of uninstalling and when I reboot PC it came back the same with the yellow question mark. Maybe I really need drivers for this. Can u help me find drivers? I spent whole day looking but can't get anything.

4. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    whats the brand name of your webcam? try to find the website and see if theres any drivers listed. i have a logitech and even tho it came with a driver i went to the website and found a better one without all of the garbage and my cameras work just fine. im curious as to why your recovery disks didnt work. and im also surprised that when u plug it in to the usb port it doesnt say new hardware found and say what it is. u might also want to go to your control panel and look under printers and other hardware and then under scanners and cameras and see if anything is listed. nothing is in my computer but it doesnt hurt to check. hope this helps.

5. non-techy75

a million thanks to you!!! I just remembered that when I use the webcam it is always set at Icatch something so I looked for it and found the right driver for XP. Now it's back to it's working conditon.

I still have the yellow mark on "Multimedia Video Controller" though, but I don't know what it affects 'coz we can still play games, watch videos, etc. So I guess I'll just leave it for a moment at that.

Thanks again.

6. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    u are very welcome. im glad that u are all set. i have the yellow mark also by mine but its not hurting anything and my computer is doing what its supposed to do so ill just leave it alone. u can mark this thread as solved.

7. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    so that u dont get in this jam again make a copy of the driver u have and put it on a cd so u will have it for future use.

8. non-techy75

Copy that. Have a nice day.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/689431

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice