1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] pc won't recognize drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zeke, Jan 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zeke

zeke Thread Starter

I have a 400mhz pc with a 2 gig drive that is going wacky and I am replacing it. I bought a 60 gig drive and tried to ghost it from the 2 gig drive but the pc would not recognize the large drive. However, that's not it and now it won't even recognize the 2 gig drive. I tried various combinations and even reset the bios by taking the battery out and still nothing. What is there left to, other than tossing this pc out the window? I know the 60 gig drive is good because I set it up with my other pc, a 466mhz and it works fine but even with the drive set up this other pc doesn't want to recognize it. And yes, I have tried to install ez bios but it didn't get me anywhere.

Any ideas?

thanks

z

2. brianF

brianF

First problem, get it to recognize the old drive.

double check that the jumper is set correctly on the drive, either master or single, which ever applies to your type drive

Try a new cable, they do go bad

Make sure cable is plugged into motherboard and drive with redstripe connected to pin1 side of socket on both.

Enter bios and redetect the drive or enter the parameters manually.

3. zeke

zeke Thread Starter

I have done this and for some reason my old 2 gig drive is being recognized now. I think the cable is fine but I still don't know why the bigger drive 60 gig is not being picked up. I know it works and I have win 98 2nd edition on it, which is what I am using right now on my other computer. any other ideas?

thanks

z

4. Spinach

Spinach

hmm... could be an outdated BIOS that won't recognise the newer drive.

Could you post what kind of motherboard you have and what BIOS revision it is running? the bios revision is usually at the bottom left hand corner of the screen during the p.o.s.t...

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

More than likely, you are going to need to set it up first with the software overlay program that should have come with it.......Put it in the computer as the master drive (check the jumpers on the back of the drive)......make the old drive the slave drive (change the jumper from where it probably is now). Boot with the floppy disk in the floppy drive (that came with the new hard drive), you'll be walked thru step by step and given the opportunity to copy the old hard drive to the new one.

6. zeke

zeke Thread Starter

I have an old Packard Bell motherboard with an amd 400 mhz chip and Award bios v4.51pg. Although this is an old board it has worked fine with my 30 gig hd. I simply installed ez bios and I had no problem with it reading large drives. I do have my 60 gig drive split in half so that shouldn't be an issue.

AcaCandy, What is the software overlay you are talking about? I just got a bare drive.

thanks

z

7. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

EZ-Bios IS the software overlay.........so you've got that covered.

8. supertech

supertech

try entering the drive parameters in the bbios manually load it in primary slave :D

9. zeke

zeke Thread Starter

Are you talking about puting in the size, cylinders, etc... in manually? I take it this info in printed on the hd?

10. supertech

supertech

yes you should be able to enter theses numbers in manually depending on what bios you have:D

11. zeke

zeke Thread Starter

I think my 2 gig drive gave my computer some hickups or something because I got my large drive to work without having to do anything other than reinstall ez bios again and presto, everything works fine.

Thanks for your input.

Z

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64942

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice