1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: PC wont start

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by threeskull, May 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. threeskull

threeskull Thread Starter

Today i started up my pc normally and when it loaded the internet hadnt connected, so i checked device manager and the wireless adapter had a Code 10 error, so I decided to restart my pc. However when trying to restart it it now just freezes on the windows loading screen that has the little blue bar moving from left to right.

I have tried loading it using Last Known Good Config and just Start Windows Normally and both come to the same result. I can get into safe mode but not safe mode with networking as it just doesnt load. I use windows XP and the only thing that I have done differently on my pc lately was to remove some malware, in which I followed the instructions given to me on here, but my pc has worked since then.

I would like to avoid formatting my pc if possible as there are files on it that I would like to keep. Any help is greatly appreciated, cheers.

2. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

3. threeskull

Unfortunately system restore didnt work, it still freezes on the windows loading screen. I tried using 2 different system restore points and both didnt work. Any other ideas?

Cheers

4. blues_harp28

In Device Manager - any yellow exclamation marks against the Wireless Adapter?
    Right click and Uninstall - restart your Pc.

You will need to update the drivers once the Pc is up and running.

5. threeskull

There werent any yellow ! anywhere on the device manager, however it was quite strange, under the network adapter part there were many things listed opposed to the 2 devices that are normally there. Whether this is because it was in safe mode or not im not sure, I tried to uninstall the one that i thought was the wireless adapter but I got a message saying it is required for the pc to boot so it cant be removed.

And incase this is any use, when I try to boot into safe mode with networking and it gets stuck, this is the bottom line that it stops loading at:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\AVGIDSxx.sys

6. blues_harp28

AVGIDS... is part of paid component Identity Protection.
    Are you using Avg?

In safe mode [not with networking]
    msconfig
    Untick any entry for Avg>apply>ok>restart your Pc.

A common problem according to the Avg forums - and no easy answer.

7. threeskull

Strange, I only use the AVG free version so not sure why that is there, but anyway I have unticked the AVG parts and tried restarting with no change, also completely uninstalled AVG but still freezing on the loading screen. Appreciate the help so far, any further ideas?

8. blues_harp28

9. threeskull

Thanks for all the suggestions, strangely when I tried turning it on today it has loaded up fine, however I am still getting a Code 10 error on my wireless network adapter which I just cant seem to fix, I have tried reinstalling it several times and that does not work, always keeps the error.

Do you have any suggestions for this or should I make a new topic in the networking area? Only thing I can think of is to try reconnecting the adapter which I will try to make sure the connection hasnt come loose or anything.

10. blues_harp28

11. threeskull

Think the adapter must have come loose somehow, opened it up and made sure the connections were on tight and its all working at the moment, thanks for your help.

12. blues_harp28

Thanks for the update (y)
    If you now feel all is Ok - you can mark it solved - at thread tools at the top of the page.

Make sure you download a new Anti-virus program - or we will see you back here too soon.
    http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/921027

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice