1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: PC won't turn on, MoBo or just the switch?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by thuskeld, Mar 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thuskeld

thuskeld Thread Starter

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3500+
    MB: MSI K8N Neo2 (Socket 939, nforce 3 ultra chipset)
    RAM: 1 GB, generic cheapo brand
    HD: Maxtor 300 GB HD (also cheapo)
    VC: ATI Radeon 9550
    PSU: 500w ATX by Coolmax

Yesterday my friend and I had been using my computer without issue, and after he'd left I turned it off with the standard "Start>turn off computer>shut down" contrivance and later went to sleep. This morning upon trying to turn it back on, nothing happened.

This happened before about 6 months ago, but within a couple of hours I accidentally pushed the power switch with my foot and it turned on, as if by cruel magic. Now I'm not so sure.

I have tried:
    -disconnecting and reconnecting the power switch from the motherboard.
    -using a different power cable.
    -unplugging the PSU and leaving it there for about 10 minutes.
    -unplugging the PSU from the MoBo, leaving it, replug.
    -using the jumper to clear the CMOS/BIOS.

I figured it was the PSU, MoBo, or hopefully the switch. I tried shorting the PSU and it turned on, along with everything plugged into it (which did NOT include the MoBo in any way). For this reason I am almost sure it is the MoBo and I can either lose my college essays or over half my income... I was hoping someone could give me some way of being sure it is NOT the power switch so I don't toss out a still-working MoBo.

Thank you in advance, and just in case it is relevant, my case: Cooler Master Centurion 5.

2. Oily

Oily

To rule out the power switch you can turn your PC on by getting a small screwdriver or something like that and shorting the two headers on the mobo that the power switch connects to.

Just touch the screwdriver off the top of them and the PC should start up.

3. thuskeld

thuskeld Thread Starter

Thanks for the very fast response.

Well, looks like it's the motherboard. If the mods don't mind, though, I'd like to leave this as "unsolved" for a bit longer just to see if anyone catches me missing something else.

4. Oily

Oily

If you could lay your hands on another PSU it might be worth while trying it out.You never know your PSU might be failing.

Worth a try if you have one....

5. thuskeld

thuskeld Thread Starter

Probably a good idea as no one seems to sell socket 939 boards anymore!

6. replay

replay

try a new psu for sure...... i'd bet a new psu and it will boot right up

7. thuskeld

thuskeld Thread Starter

Ah! Success! A different power supply made the board light right up! I don't understand fully why my PSU works fine when shorted, but not on the MoBo, but whatever.

So, does this mean that if I buy a new PSU just like the old one, my problems are solved? Is this a problem of choosing the wrong PSU for my system, or just natural wear and tear (had this build for 2 years, abouts)?

Thanks again for all the help!

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

Sounds like psu to me.

9. Oily

Oily

The PSU probably works when shorted because there is no real load on it when out of the mobo.

If you are getting a new PSU, ALWAYS buy a decent one and dont skimp on it,an under power PSU can cause all sorts of trouble.

10. thuskeld

thuskeld Thread Starter

Thanks a lot for the help, I'll buy a new PSU tomorrow, as soon as I figure out how to pick a good one.

11. Rich-M

Rich-M

It's easy. Use Antec, Enermax or Thermaltake and you will do well.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/698056

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice