1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: pcAnyhwere and XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Dingus, Sep 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dingus

Dingus Thread Starter

Hi folks,
    I just upgraded a Windows 98 SE PC to XP. Since I did this I can't get pcAnywhere to access it even though it worked fine before the upgrade.. I've checked that the firewall is disabled but still nowt.
    I can access other PC's with XP without any problem so I don't think it's XP that's causing it.
    Anyone got any ideas? :confused:

2. grimreapor

grimreapor

have you tried reinstalling pcanywhere because it may no longer have config for yr os eg windows 98 to windows xp big difference in essential os programs

3. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

You could also use NetMeeting to access another PC

4. Dingus

Dingus Thread Starter

Thanks for the input folks. I'll try reinstalling Grim.
    As for NeMeeting I've never heard of it.... is it good...is it expensive..... wherre do I get it... etc, etc

5. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    netmeeting is part of windows - if its not under communications then goto program files > netmeeting > conf.exe

i have been using netmeeting to share work, chat, look at other peoples desktops, watch what they do, collabrate - etc at work for 7 years now.....

it does have some sort of remote facility - but i had troble with this and use pcanywhere on XP and win2k with no problems

good luck

6. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

Netmmeting is what I used for remote connections on my Wan to save hours of driving and best of all it is FREE. We stoped using PC Anywhere because of NetMeeting.

7. Dingus

Dingus Thread Starter

Thanks guys, (No gender implied)

Re-installing did nowt, but I did find on the Symantec site that you must install AFTER you upgrade. They say that if pcAnywhere is installed before you upgrade you will get problems. They however did'nt say how to fix these problems. :mad:

Thanks etif found it. I'll give it a try.

8. shadowcat

shadowcat

FYI -- If I remember correctly, pcAnywhere 10.5 is the minimum for it to work on XP -- I was told version 10 will not work with XP.

9. Dingus

Dingus Thread Starter

Thanks Shadow, I've read that on a couple of support sites, however I have two other machine's with XP that I contact with no problems.
    I think I'll invest in version 11 and see if that will cure my problem.

Thanks for your input.

10. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    V11 works fine - i use it
    but both PC need to have it on etc etc - every PC has netmeeting already - i use it to remotely help my friends and family.
    however, if the other PC is unattended maybe a differt issue - although i think you can do that too on netmeetign

11. Dingus

Dingus Thread Starter

Etif, I've found that pcAnywhere works a lot better when no one is attending the remote PC. So it looks like I'm stuck with my problem 'till I fix it.
    Since I last posted I've been trying Symantec's Knowledge base. They don't seem to be up to-date with all of the issues.
    Any suggestions guys. :confused:

12. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Version 11 works much better with Windows2000 or XP. The video does not go into compatibility mode on the host and performance is greatly increased.

Another program I've been using that is much faster and locks up less is RADMIN. Only costs around $35. So small it fits on a floppy disk.

Also, one more reason why upgrades are not the way to go. Clean installs (while you need to reinstall your apps again) are more reliable and in the long run faster to do.

13. Dingus

Dingus Thread Starter

Thanks for your input Bob, I've also tried Ver 11 but I'm still getting the same problem. I've upgraded and reinstalled.
    Any further things for me to try guys

14. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Did you uninstall first and then reinstall.

Again, these are the types of little pain in the neck bugs that often come when doing in-place upgrades. Clean installs generally work better and are more stable.

15. Dingus

Dingus Thread Starter

Hi again Bob, I followed Symantec's instructions about properly uninstalling as I've found in the past the Symantec's uninstall misses a lot of files. DLL etc. So this time I didn't just uninstall but followed their Knowledge base.
    Even after reinstalling Ver.11 I'm getting the same fault.
    Symantec's site did say that the first time I run pcAnywhere I would have to input the ports that it uses, but this never happened even after reinstalling.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/273067

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice