1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: PCI Graphics Card?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by compukid7, Feb 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. compukid7

compukid7 Thread Starter

Hi!
    Sorry if this is in the wrong place, I'm new to these forums :D, Apoligies if I am using the wrong words, I'm still learning,
    Anyway.

My older brother wanted a PC for his university work, so basically just to run the Microsoft Office Suite. I said to him instead of forking out a load of money ill look up in the attic for one.

I found a PC, its a custom build what my dad built like ages ago. It will run XP and the Office Suite fine.

My brother now wants to play all his old games (Desert Storm II) which aren't very demanding. (Min Req: 128mb RAM, 1Ghz or faster)

But its so old it doesn't have a AGP slot for a graphics card. But it has 2 white PCI slots which I cant find a graphics card that will fit in, and a small black slot, which I haven't a clue what it is.

Are there any decent graphics cards (not bothered if second hand) that will fit in this PC?

Thanks in Advance!

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Could that small black slot be a PCI-Express socket?

Is there a manufacturer name and model number printed on the motherboard?

3. Simba7

Simba7

It could be an old CNR slot. That would make it (usually) a Pentium 3 or 4.

I would suggest eBay for this. You can usually find a GeForce FX 5500 PCI card for ~$20-25.

4. compukid7

compukid7 Thread Starter

Sorry for the late reply, my internet has been down...
    Anyway, i'm just looking up the details of the motherboard in crucial, meanwhile, i've attached a picture of all the slots available. An Ethernet card is in at the moment.

Attached Files:

5. compukid7

compukid7 Thread Starter

The system model is MS-6378

6. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Simba7 was spot on. The small black connector is a CNR slot.

Newegg.com in the USA still lists new PCI Video Controller cards on their web site. Don't know if any sellers in the UK have them.

7. Simba7

Simba7

A VIA 686B chipset? Must be an old Athlon Socket A board.

You can put up to 2x 512Mb sticks in it. I'd suggest eBay since most places will charge an arm and a leg for PC-133 memory.

8. compukid7

compukid7 Thread Starter

9. Simba7

Simba7

10. compukid7

compukid7 Thread Starter

Okay thanks. I think ill get the GeForce 6200. Thanks for your all your help! :)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090155

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice