1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: pci-ide expansion problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by XcheifX, Dec 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. XcheifX

XcheifX Thread Starter

its not working :( . i put it into my pci slot, hook up the ide cable with hard drive. my bios can't detect it, but before windows loads up the card display a seperate screen show that it detected the harddrive. though when i enter windows or into my bios it can't detect the ide harddrive. Any solutions?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Details on the machine and setup, please? What kind of PCI card? Have you installed the drivers for it and for the drive?

3. XcheifX

XcheifX Thread Starter

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

What is there in Device Manager that needs fixing? The card may not need a driver, so you may just need a driver for the drive itself. What kind of card is it? Is it a Promise card or something else? What model?

5. XcheifX

XcheifX Thread Starter

the card does not require drivers. it used to boot up the harddrive. but now when i go into xp setup to format the drive, the drive is not detected. I put this card into my pc because i only have 1 ide port for the cd drives. i put this card in to expand the ide slots and attach an extra harddrive to it.

btw the info on the card is in a link in the above post.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

What about Device Manager? Is the drive there and installed?

7. XcheifX

XcheifX Thread Starter

i wouldn't really need a drivers, i want to format xp onto the extra ide hard drive. i just want my bios to detect the card.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Does the card or the drive appear in Device Manager?

It may or may not be possible to install XP to the drive, but if it isn't seen in XP, it won't be available to install XP, either.

Has anything changed in your BIOS? Is there now an option to boot from the added drive that was not there before? Any new drives listed in the boot order?

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, first of all you need to understand that when you use a controller card you almost always have to load a driver during xp setup via the F6 prompt. Setup will almost never see a drive connected to a controller card. I am assuming you want to install windows since you posted about a format.

Next you are NOT going to find the drive in the system bios. Think about it, it is not connected to the system bios ie ide1 or ide2. You will see the drive in the raid card's bios.

Next if you are serious about data and system stability, I would really return the card you linked to and get a quality raid card. Installing a $25 raid card is just asking for a problem. Good brands are promise or highpoint. A good quality raid card is going to cost you $125 or more.

FWIW IMO the promise is the slightly better card however the highpoint raid bios is more user friendly than the promise raid bios.

10. XcheifX

XcheifX Thread Starter

i don't really need to configure with raid i just need a seperate boot to xp. i have vista n it tends to slow down my computer a bit, xp would help fix that. i thought this card would do the trick. btw the card came with a disk but not too many references to work upon so im left clueless on how to get it to work. Also, 125 dollar card isn't really worth it, i'd rather get a sata hard drive for 125. Ima try setting up this card with the f6 you talked about. anyway thanks for all ur help.

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

Do you see any sign of the card anywhere, like a new splash screen at boot, changes in the BIOS, or new devices in Device Manager in Vista?

If you could show us or tell us what is on the CD, that might help, too.

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you do not need raid, you can install just a promise controller card. They are approx $35 or so for a decent one.

If the card came with a floppy disk, that is the driver you need. During the first part of setup, where it asks if you need to load scsi/mass storage drivers, hit the F6 prompt. When setup wants the driver disk, it will tell you to insert the floppy. Note that disk probably has more than one driver ie win2k/winnt/xp or something like that. You may have to choose which one to load. Once that is done, it is no different than any os install.

You do understand that if you install xp, you will no longer have access to vista until you repair the vista boot files correct?

13. Elvandil

Elvandil

The driver for that card is here. Unzip the downloaded file and put the contents on a floppy. There is a "ReadMe" file inside that tells you how to install it, but it is really just as simple as putting in the floppy after pressing F6 at the prompt during XP setup.

14. XcheifX

XcheifX Thread Starter

thx that worked great. the drive was detected under xp setup, everything installed and is running smoothly. thx for all the help.

15. Elvandil

Elvandil

Finally, huh? It shouldn't be so hard :D

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/663604

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice