1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] PCI mass storage controller

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by USAF AMMO, Jan 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. USAF AMMO

USAF AMMO Thread Starter

How can I fix my PCI mass storage controller error. It has an exclamation point in the system devices tab. I d/l and reinstalled the 4 in 1 drivers and it didn't help. I have an Asus A7V KT 133 chipset.

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Have you tried removing it from the device manager, then restarting the computer?

Is it a Promise controller?

3. USAF AMMO

USAF AMMO Thread Starter

Yes, I have removed it several times and everytime I reboot it always finds it and can't locate the drivers for it. I'm not sure what kind of controller it is.

4. ~Candy~

I believe you are going to need to open the case and take a look at it..........

5. USAF AMMO

USAF AMMO Thread Starter

no problem, what do I need to look for?

6. ~Candy~

Brand name, stickers, anything to identify a company name.

7. USAF AMMO

USAF AMMO Thread Starter

OK now, you have lost me. All I have in my puter is a AGP vid card, a sound card, 1394 card, modem, and a LAN card.

8. ~Candy~

Are your drives connected to the motherboard then? and not an add-in controller card?

EDIT:

Looks like it's built into the motherboard........have you been to the motherboard manufacturer's website for drivers?

9. slipe

slipe

Your MB has a Promise ATA100 card built in. It is on the PCI bus and is listed as a mass storage controller in device manager before you load the drivers for it and under SCSI devices after you do. The message you are getting relates to this card.

The first step is to remove the card in device manager and reboot as Aca Candy suggests. Then you need the drivers for it – hopefully they came from Asus. If not you can download them from Promise.

There is a patch for Via chipsets with Promise controllers. Try Via or Asus for the patch.

BTW I used to shoot your ammo if you handle 20mm.

10. slipe

slipe

I rethought the problem and you don’t want to remove the controller if your boot hard drive is connected to it. You have an ATA 66 bus from the MB and an ATA100 bus from the card. If your boot drive is connected to the ATA100 circuit and it is working, don’t remove the card. If it is working the message is just telling you that you need the drivers.

You should also get the patch.

11. USAF AMMO

USAF AMMO Thread Starter

I'll find the patch from ASUS and try it out.

Yes I do handle 20MM. 13 years now.

12. USAF AMMO

USAF AMMO Thread Starter

GREAT..... I went to PCI mass and updated the driver with my ASUS disk and then rebooted. It show up under the SCSI tab now as a ultra 100 thingamajig and everything is fine. thanks for your help.

13. ~Candy~

Yaaaaaaayyyyyyy! :) Finally, huh? I remember your last thread too....did you get the webcam sorted out? I'll mark this one solved.

14. slipe

slipe

Do you know which circuit your boot drive is on? Have you ever loaded the drivers for the ATA100? They might have been included in some other stuff from Asus, but I know it needs drivers. Were you previously in device manager with the exclamation mark not there for the card? I don’t suppose you know whether it was ever listed under SCSI devices – that would indicate the drivers had been installed.

My guess is that the patch isn’t going to fix it. I don’t have a Via chipset and my ATA100 is a separate card, but my understanding is that the patch just involves improving the burst transfer speed. You want the patch but we need to know more about the setup to get that exclamation mark off.

If you are at Shaw I crashed a fighter there once – they gave me a medal for not bailing out. If I had it to do over I think I would have bailed out. Then I could have worn one of those little caterpillar pins.

You got it fixed while I was checking on the patch - glad it worked out. You do want the patch if your HD is on the card.

15. USAF AMMO

USAF AMMO Thread Starter

ACaCandy, I never did get my web cam working. I'm totally fed up with it.

Slipe, I can't remember whay I did to get the exclamation mark but it wasn't there before. I have both the primary and secondary 66 IDE's used and nothing on the 100. The guys that built this for me said, one of my components were only 66, so they had to use 66 for everything. Do you know what the patch is titled? I can't find anything familiar at the ASUS site.

BTW, when did you crash the jet? I've been here at Shaw since 98.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65718

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice