Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] PCI parity error on bus/device/function 000h

34K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  brucedl 
#1 ·
I've got a Gateway Solo laptop that used to work. On bootup, it shows the initial bios screen and Gateway logo, and then its all black. When I try to access system setting via the F2 key, I got the PCI parity error on bus/device/function 000h message, and then it changes to a screen that shows Fixed disk 0: Parity Check 1.

If its the hard drive, why won't it boot from a startup disk either? And if it's the mobo, why do I even get the initial bios screen?

#9 ·
Already did that. I had 32 meg some time ago, and tried with each one by itself. Same result. This "Parity" error is not a memory issue. Also tried pulling the hard drive and just booting to disk-same results.

Gateway quoted a flat rate of $299 to fix the thing, but I'm wondering how hard it is to swap the mobo, because I can buy this on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2058349208

#11 ·
From that link:

"If the parity error is coming up as soon as the BIOS tries to boot, and especially if it fails at memory address "0000" consistently, this is a dead giveaway of trying to use non-parity memory in a parity system. Make sure that you have used real parity memory if you have parity checking enabled."

Strange...considering it ran fine with the new (and old) memory for 2+ years. In any case, since I can't even access the bios setting, I have to think that soemthing else is wrong harware wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.