1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: PCIe video card with S-Video

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by carp, Mar 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. carp

carp Thread Starter

A few weeks ago I bought a new desktop PC with a PCI Express graphics card (Gigabyte ATI Radeon 5770) that doesn't have s-video out. Didn't even occur to me to ask. :eek:
    Anyway, I can't connect my PC to my CRT TV as I used to. As much as I'd like an LCD or Plasma TV, I simply can't afford one.

I'm basically searching for a 1GB PCIe card with S-Video output - ie. a card that will enable me to watch downloaded content on my old analogue TV, but will still handle HD video and games like Crysis, for example.

Any suggestions, or websites where I can easily cross-check GPU specs, would be very welcome. Many Thanks :)

2. Compiler

Compiler

3. carp

carp Thread Starter

Brilliant, that's just the list I was hoping for. Hopefully some of these cards are readily available in Australia.

What I don't understand is why a Digital to Analogue Converter, like this, is so expensive when much cheaper graphics cards do the same thing.

Anyway, many thanks for that link Compiler. :)

4. Compiler

Compiler

Those cards are being phased out/replaced by cards like your 5770. There isn't much left... the 4870 would be your best performance/price card.

Why? Because HDTV, Digital output do not carry NTSC/PAL TV analog signals. Older VGA connectors did on some cards which means a $20 adapter could be used. DVI>VGA is cheap $5... but the signal is digital. You can convert HDMI<>DVI<>DisplayPort>VGA.

They make several million of these modern video cards. The HDMI>S-Video adapter is sold by the thousands, its not a mass-produce product. Each one is hand made. It does allow you to "record" your Blu-ray disc, but it won't be 1080. That little box has to convert a digital 1080 signal down to about 500lines of res. At about $300... might as well buy an HD-TV :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/913507

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice