1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: PCLinuxOS .92 & Windows 2000 Dual-Boot

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by jp1203, Jul 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jp1203

jp1203 Thread Starter

Hello Everyone,

I had a Windows 2000 Pro installation on my IBM PC300PL. I ran a PCLinuxOS CD and attempted to resize the partition. It seemed to work, but when I reopened the partitioner it showed a blank drive.

I figured, okay, whatever, (I have to install 2000 and a bunch of other apps on a machine to replace my old Dell Wednesday, so I could do them both at once) and created new partitions for:
    swap (about 400 MB)
    Two Linux Ones (Each about three Gigs)
    A 31 GB Windows Partition (NTFS)

I wrote the changes, then began the install of PCLinux, which seemed to be okay until it got to creating Users and Passwords. It gave me an error when attempting to write anything at this phase. It had a really long number (Which I stupidly didn't copy down).

I rebooted the machine, and to my disbelief, Windows 2000 began booting. It hiccoughed and gave me a stop error. I rebooted and it gave me the same one.

I put in the Win2k CD, and it determined no Windows 2000 install existed, thus it could not recover it.

I plan upon wiping the entire hard drive. My ultimate goal is to get Windows 2000 and PCLinuxOS dual-booting with as much possible allocated to win2k, while still leaving a little room for PCLinux to grow. I plan on accessing docs/music/etc. from my server (Ubuntu), so it doesn't really need that much.

What should I install first (2k or PCLinux), and how would I go about getting this whole project completed.

Thanks,

J.S.

By the way, I might not answer very quickly, as I have no internet PC until wednesday (maybe Thursday depending on how fast I install things). At the moment I am using an HP nc6230 Laptop (My dad's), which he needs for work tomorrow. I might be able to get it for the evening, though.

2. saikee

saikee

The advice I would suggest is after resizing (possibly too late now) you should run Windows and check everything is OK before installing Linux.

The second advice I would suggest, since you are an advance PC user, is to make a Grub floppy so that you can still boots Windows after an unsatisfactory Linux installation that may end you up without a workable boot loader. The bootable Grub floppy can be made from Ubuntu as it supports Grub. You basically put stage1 and stage2 of Grub into a floppy that is unattached to an operating system. That floppy can be used to boot any system manually, be it a Dos, Windows, Linux, BSD, Solaris or, Darwinx86.

The detail terminal commands to created such a floppy is documented in the Section 3.1 of Grub Manual (just Google "Grub manual").

The commands to boot Windows (or any PC system) with such floppy are documented in the last link of my signature and can be found inside any /boot/grub/menu.lst of a Linux that uses Grub. The difference is to ask Grub to boot from a hard disk you need a "title" statement to display the system at the monitor whereas with a Grub floppy such command is unnecessary. Also to boot a system manaully by Grub you need to issue "boot" as the last command which isn't needed if booting automatically from a hard disk. Otherwise all the instructions of booting any PC system are inside the Grub configuration file menu.lst..

To me the order of installing Windows and Linux is immaterial but a lazy way is to install Windows first so that a Linux Installer can dual boot it without you lifting a finger.

3. jp1203

jp1203 Thread Starter

Thanks.

Since everything was gone I made a 31 GB NTFS Partition, leaving about 6 GB of free space. Then I installed 2000. I am currently installing PCLinux (About 20 minutes remaining)

(5 GB for OS, 1 GB Swap)

Hopefully, it will get through the users and passwords okay, then maybe the boot loader will even work!

I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks,

J.S.

4. jp1203

jp1203 Thread Starter

Worked perfect. After my CMOS password I get two options, PCLinux and Win 2000, both work perfectly

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/485500

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice