1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: PCMCIA CDRom Question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mythologik, Feb 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mythologik

mythologik Thread Starter

I have an older DELL Laptop running Windows 95. I plugged a PCMCIA external CDrom into the laptop and a pcmcia icon showed up in the taskbar. when I click on it and check properties it shows it is recognizing it as a cd rom. When I put a disk into the cdrom it does not spin. I do not know what to do. If the laptop is turned off and I put a cdrom in, it will spin. If I put a cdrom in while the laptop is on, it won't spin. The external cdrom drive is made by CNF. I am also using the PCMCIA cable that came with the CDROM. It says on it:
    CARD PORT Portable CD-ROM
    CNF, Inc.
    Can anyone help? I am so close to having this laptop do everything I need, just need to solve this cdrom problem.

2. winbob

winbob

There is also a USB cable available for these drives do you have one? It would be helpful to see if it works off of that connection.

I really do not understand how this device works when the laptop is powered OFF??? From what I have read, it is powered from the Card Slot, NOT externally, so when the PC is OFF there should NOT be power to the slot.

Perhaps this is an indication that the slot circuitry is messed up??

3. mythologik

It has a selector on the back to choose from: external power / powered by pc. I have tried it both ways. My laptop does not have any USB slots as it is older.

4. mythologik

If it recognized the external CDrom drive, would it designate it a drive letter under my computer icon so I could access it?

5. winbob

winbob

yes.

6. mythologik

Found the right driver finally.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326049

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice