1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: PC's rear USB ports don't recognize drive...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by great_dame, Jan 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. great_dame

great_dame Thread Starter

I don't get it. I plugged my external drive into a USB port in the back and all the PC could tell me was that it didn't recognize the device. I couldn't see anything in the drive and it would only sometimes show up in my list of drives.

Plugging it into the front USB slot worked like a charm.

Are there configurations for getting the USB slots on the back of my computer to recognize things like that? Have I disabled some Windows service that you guys know of that handles this problem?

(Compaq Presario on Win XP Service pack 1, newly recovered partition).

2. KingCody

KingCody

what physical size is the drive? (3.5", 2.5", just the drive itself, not the enclosure)

does it have it's own power supply? ...there may be a lack of power going to the rear USB port(s)

you could always open up the case and switch the front USB ports with the rear ones (swap headers)

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Good luck with that, since the rear USB ports are classicly soldered directly to the MB, no headers involved. :)

4. JohnWill

If you want the rear ports to work better, I suggest SP2, it fixed a bunch of USB issues.

Do other devices work from the rear USB ports?

5. KingCody

KingCody

lol... good point... I was thinking he was using separate rear (from header) ports like a PCI card bay plate with 1 or 2 USB ports on it. I think of the soldered ports as the "onboard" or "built in" ports... I am probably wrong, my mistake

but that brings forth another solution, if the front ports work fine, then buy a PCI card bay USB plate and connect it to the header that the front port uses, that way you can plug it in to the back of the PC and you know it will work :D

6. great_dame

great_dame Thread Starter

*Nothing* works from the rear USB ports, but the front one works fine.

Is anyone aware of Windows Services that have to be on "manual" or "automatic" for the USB ports in the back to work? Perhaps I disabled that?

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

If it were the Plug and Play service it would affect all the ports, not just the back ones.

If you have a spare PCI slot you might want to consider installing an enhanced USB 2.0 card to make up for the loss.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q310575

Have you checked the USB entries in the Device manager. I would expect to see a problem with one of the controllers or USB hubs.

8. JohnWill

There are MB surface mount fuses for the USB ports, perhaps the rear connections were overloaded by an incorrectly connected device?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!