1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: PDF - Browser Error

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by CDobyns, Feb 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CDobyns

CDobyns Thread Starter

Just recently I've started having a problem with getting my browser to render a .pdf file/page within my browser. I'm running FireFox 18.0.1 and Adobe Reader XI, but the problem also occurs if I try using Internet Explorer.

When I invoke a .pdf file or document I get the following dialog box on the browser page:

[​IMG]

I've tried uninstalling and re-installing Adobe Reader and using a different browser - and the result is the same. The Adobe Acrobat plug-in for FireFox is also Enabled. All three checkboxes under Internet preferences in Adobe Reader are checked (Display in Read Mode, Allow fast web view, and Allow speculative downloading) are checked (and have been tried "unchecked" in various combinations). Adobe Reader will open a .pdf file normally from the laptop - so the Reader application itself is working okay. And I just don't see anything on-line that resembles this problem, to tackle it any further from a self-help perspective. I think that addresses most of the background and standard "usual suspects" that folks would likely suggest as fixes, right off the bat. What else is there that I've missed?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Make sure that all browsers are closed when you install. They can't install new plugins if they are running. Or, sometimes a reboot is needed after an installation.

Make sure that you don't have more than one PDF reader trying to install plugins.

(Most people would probably agree that Adobe is the very worst of the readers, bulky, buggy, constantly needing upgrades, and often incompatible. Foxit Reader has solved a lot of peoples' problems. There are many others.)

3. CDobyns

CDobyns Thread Starter

Well, I was going to brashly respond that I had tried all of that (shutdown browsers, restart, etc.), but this harkens me back to the phrase, "respond in haste, repent in leisure".

I closed browsers and restarted, and then installed only my copy of Adobe Acrobat 6.0 Standard (although I suspect that Elvandil would not approve). And voilá (I love it when I get to make use of my high school French class occasionally . . .) - it seems to be working fine again.

Must have been something about having both the Acrobat Standard and Reader installed simultaneously that was generating a digital version of a bi-polar event. I'm marking this one Solved. Thanks!

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

That's good news. Your restraint paid off this time. :D

No, I don't approve of Acrobat. But I am a live-and-let-live person and won't condemn you for it, either. It's not like you are the last failed convert.

Enjoy!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088034

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice