1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: PDF creation from Quark or Pagemaker

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by boscolil, Oct 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. boscolil

boscolil Thread Starter

A typesetter regularly sends me manuscripts (300-400 pages long), which she has created in Quark or Pagemaker (sorry, I don't know which) and converted to pdf (sorry, again I don't know which package she uses). When I look at the pdf on screen or print it, there is some very odd spacing - words stretched out, two characters very close together ... that sort of thing. If I convert the pdf to Word, there are physical spaces between some characters in words - so very many that it is impossible to use spellcheck or search and replace. The typesetter says not to worry about this as it is fine on her system and will print from Quark/Pagemaker OK. This isn't very satisfactory for me as I have the document to proofread and the odd spacing makes it difficult/more time consuming. My question is, though, why does this happen? I thought the whole point of pdf documents was that they picked up a document and stuck it down again in its exact form. I regularly convert Word documents to pdfs and do not have this problem, and I receive pdfs from other people which are spaced perfectly.

2. The Typesetter

The Typesetter

I think the root cause of this odd appearance is due to the typesetter not embedding sufficient fonts when creating the PDF file - check with her that (if using Quark Express) she is embedding all fonts in use througout the document

3. jonvan

jonvan

I work IT for a print company, and this is a common error when receiving files from clients. I am almost certain it would be an embedded font issue.

4. boscolil

boscolil Thread Starter

Thank you for these responses. I suspect you are right, although it seems a rather fundamental mistake for a typesetter to make. Now to think of a diplomatic way of putting it to her ...

5. jonvan

jonvan

Simply put, just ask her to embed the fonts when she creates the PDF. It should become common practice for her.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!