Solved: PDF file mystery

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cj47

Hello folks, complete novice here, so my details will be very basic. I am trying to download a bus timetable from the companies web site. It has an area on screen to click onto for a PDF timetable download. All goes OK, the box comes up asking if I want to save or open. I have tried open,(and also saving) and my word 2000 office page opens up, (Microsoft word) In the center of the screen is another box that asks me 'convert file from', with a list of names. I have tried these but either get a page of strange letters and symbols, or a message about an invalid pathway. This has happened several times just recently when I try to download a file from some of the web pages (like a car showroom stock list etc) Has anyone any ideas please. (I am windows 98)
Cheers.

I guess its a problem of wrong association of files .
PDF are auposed to be opened up using a acrobat reader
Have you installed an acrobat reader on your system. If you have not try installing the adobe acrobat reader.
Download the file again and try opening them up with a adode reader.

You can download adobe reader from this link

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

cj47

Thanks for that, I will give it a try. Will let you know how I get on. Bye.

Noyb

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
Jay
This is probably not what you want, but you can open the pdf in Adobe Photoshop or Elements and convert it to a regular image.

Or you can print it then scan it.

Then you can use ABBYY Scan to Office to "read" the image and convert it to MS Word or Excel. http://www.abbyy.com/scantooffice/

I haven't done this in a while but -
What's the link to the pdf and which page(s) do you want converted ?

cj47

thanks for that, it's good to have more than one way 'of cracking open a nut.'

Dongle has the answer in one CJ.
Without Adobe Acrobat PDF files will sit there for ever more just looking at you.
Wolfey

cj47

thanks guys, problems solved. hope somone else also benefits from this information you have all been good enough to take the time to share. CHEERS, You will see me ask many more questions I am sure !!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online