1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: PDF Form Fillers

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Erm, Jan 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Erm

Erm Thread Starter

Hi all,

I work for a legal company and staff often have to complete PDF forms. Many of these can be filled in in Acrobat Reader and printed, but not saved and re-edited.

Therefore, we have some software called PDFill that enables us to save changes to a PDF form, print, re-edit, etc. However, some forms involve numerous calculations (which when edited in Acrobat Reader - are calculated automatically).

Does anyone know of any PDF Form filling software that will enable calculations to be done automatically? (even if I have to set up the formulas myself!)

I need to avoid Acrobat Writer at all costs!

Please Help!
    Thanks in advance,
    Debbie

I have attached an example.

Attached Files:

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

If this is something you need to do all the time, why would you avoid the one application that would make the job easier?

3. Erm

Erm Thread Starter

Because the cost for the company would be 10k!

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You're not going to find anything for free. And with the specific requirement of performing calculations, I don't think you'll have much success finding shareware or other cheaper software.

The up-front costs for the software might sound steep, but what is it costing in labor to have everyone performing these calculations by hand? There is a cost in losing productivity and a savings in improving efficiency.

5. letchworth

letchworth

If I understand your plight, I might have some help for you:

Do I understand correctly that you now have the ability to make whatever changes you need and are currently able to print those changes to paper??

If the answer to the above is YES-- then it seems to me that using a program like .pdfCreator would solve your problem. pdfCreator installs as a new "printer", so that when you tell it to print after you have made the changes you need--- Up pops a print dialogue with your current printer/s listed plus one new one called pdfCreator.

pdfCreator does not print to paper but to a .pdf file, thus saving your changes. Basically anything that can be printed to paper can be "printed" to a .pdf file. You can save your changes in this way-- using either your original file & software combination to make additional changes, or the new file.

I hope it helps,
    letchworth

6. Erm

Erm Thread Starter

Oh my god I think your right! I never thought of that! You are a diamond! Thank you soooo much! I will test that theory and let you know before I mark it solved!

7. Erm

Erm Thread Starter

Grrrr....I get this error message when I try to print to pdf with the form attached to my original posting

ERROR: undefined
    OFFENDING COMMAND: get
    STACK:
    /quit
    -dictionary-
    -mark

I think this may be because it is encrypted. Any ideas?

8. letchworth

letchworth

Not sure why? Of course I do not have whatever programs you have to edit the pdf files--- but, as for the file you zipped and attached-- I was able to "PRINT" it back to a new .pdf file in about two seconds.

Have you tried your installation of pdfCreator on other documents (say, an old Word document, Excell spreadsheet, letter to Grandmother, or whatever??) I can honestly say that I have never had a problem producing a .pdf file from any program that has a print option.

Did you download the correct version of pdfCreator? (Not the language package but the program designated as PDFCreator 0.9.3----August 25, 2006?)

That's all I can think of at this moment-- but try "printing" a few files and make sure everything is working OK----- (Only other thing I can think of, I wonder if there is a permissions thing in the modified file- after you make changes--- that I don't have--- Perhaps you could try uploading a modified form (fake info, of course)-- I'd be glad to try it again.

letchworth

9. Erm

Erm Thread Starter

I had version 0.9.2 so I am trying the newer version. I managed to print it to a pdf but got one blank page and the afore mentioned error at the start of the next page. Did you manage to print it to a new pdf with any additions? You can make additions to the form from within acrobat reader. I'm just going to test pdf Creator with some other documents and will edit this post with the results ASAP.

10. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

11. letchworth

letchworth

Please see my posting #5 in this conversation (about .pdfCreator: to produce pdf files).
    Typewriter tool-- I use Foxit Reader (which has had typewriter tool for quite awhile-- glad to hear that Adobe has finally caught up)--- Yes- typewriter tool works fine to fill in blank lines.

Thanks for the question and comment
    letchworth

12. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Hope I'm not changing the course of this topic ... or butting in ...
    But it seems the pdf has to be created with the typewriter rights enabled .. in order to do this in Adobe reader.
    I still have a lot to learn here... but here's a sample pdf for Adobe reader with the typewriter enabled.
    Still have to figure out the font size.

13. letchworth

letchworth

I use Foxit Reader and was able, with their typewriter tool, to fill in several of the blanks and then "PRINT" to pdfCreator. None of the problems you have described have shown up for me- I do use 0.9.3- works like a charm. (Perhaps the download went awry? Try downloading it again and re-install.)
    Perhaps I should update to version 8- (but with the disasters that happened in v. 6, and the discovery of Foxit-- I have been pleased to use that).

Awaiting your update on trials with other programs and your current version of pdfCreator.
    letchworth

14. letchworth

letchworth

Not at all- perhaps we can all learn (Well, if Erm doesn't mind, I should say)-- It was really her question that prompted the thread.

As I mention above- I use Foxit Reader, which also includes typewriter tool- I just fill in the blanks with the typewriter tool and "PRINT" to pdfCreator. Works like a charm for me. Unfortunately, I don't know how to send you an attachment- (That is a feature I have not used on this board).

I need to leave for awhile-- but will read this thread later- to see if anything else developes.
    letchworth

15. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

I'm Back again .... :mad:

FWIW ...
    What little pdf form filling I do .. I use Photoshop .. but then I'm familiar with it.

I've been playing with Adobe Reader 8's typewriter .. and I don't like it .. not enough controls or options.
    Also .. Unless I missed something ..The pdf must be saved (created) with the Typewriter enabled

Thanks to Letchworts tips ...
    I found a copy of Foxit Pro .. and I like it's Typewriter much better that Adobe's Typewriter.
    The Foxit pro pack must be used to enable saving without editing markups.

Don't know bout Ya'll .. but I'm learning something .. Thanks.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/534266

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice