1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: PDF on web pages closes IE

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by nettyiam, Jul 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nettyiam

nettyiam Thread Starter

First Name:
    Betty
    Dell Dimension E510 Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 1GB DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz
    Internet Explorer

Hi,

I have Acrobat Reader7.0.
    When I am on a web page & try to open their PDF file, I keep getting an IE window:
    "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem & needs to close...."
    Send report/close.
    Which when I hit close IE closes all pages.
    I don't have a problem opening my own saved PDF file.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Netty

PS: Did a search on here for PDF but nothing shows up.

2. RSM123

RSM123

3. nettyiam

nettyiam Thread Starter

First Name:
    Betty
    Thanks for quick reply.

Did what your first web page advised but it still gives me the IE encountered....
    Incidentally, it occurs on health insurance web pages.

Do you think if I download Adobe® Reader® 8 it will fix it?

4. RSM123

RSM123

Sorry for the delayed response.

You could try the latest version of Adobe, as it will be a clean install with default settings restored.

Though as stated I now use Foxit, as it uses a lot less memory, and doesn't keep being set to run on pc startup as Adobe does each time you run it.

:p

5. nettyiam

nettyiam Thread Starter

First Name:
    Betty
    Do I uninstall the Adobe 7.0 first?

Haven't decided to try foxit yet..will check it more.

Thanks,

Netty

6. RSM123

RSM123

I'm not sure whether you need to uninstall - I believe that v 8.0 should just overwrite.

From memory when I used Acrobat, it was constantly phoning home and asking me if I wanted upgrades ( my main reason for dumping it.)

D/load and run the install - chances are it will detect the existing version you have, and if need be, it will advise you to uninst. or it will do so itself as part of the upgrade, since they're both essentially the same product.

7. nettyiam

nettyiam Thread Starter

First Name:
    Betty
    I have gotten the same message when in Outlook Express & other web pages, so I think it isn't just Adobe.

I downloaded the Foxit software & can now read pdf files, so will stick with this for now. Haven't uninstalled Adobe 7 yet because of the IE window/freeze while on other web pages. Went to MS support, suggested unticking script debugging in internet options which I did but not sure what that is.

Don't know what else to do but will continue searching for an answer to this annoying IE problem. If you have any other suggestions, I am listening.

Thanks,
    Netty

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/592953

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice