1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: PDF problem

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by crsaj, Dec 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. crsaj

crsaj Thread Starter

I don't know where to go on this one but the problem I'm having is that I've recently have had a problem when opening PDF attachments. The attachments opens but the text is jibberish. This also just happened when I scanned a document in PDF format. It saved as jibberish. I don't know if this is a computer problem, an Adobe problem or something else. I have had no problem when scanning or opening JPEG files. All help will be appreciated. Thanks - Chuck

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It's not going to be a hardware so I've moved your thread to All Other Software.

Have you tried uninstalling Adobe Reader and installing an alternate PDF reader such as Foxit: http://foxitsoftware.com/Secure_PDF_Reader/

3. crsaj

crsaj Thread Starter

Haven't tried that yet but will I need to uninstall Adobe REader first?

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Its best to uninstall it, especially since its not working.

5. crsaj

crsaj Thread Starter

Since I couldn't wait I already installed Foxit without uninstalling Adobe. Should I now uninstall Adobe and should that include all versions?

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Sure, since it didn't work why leave it?

7. crsaj

crsaj Thread Starter

Would there be programs that may no longer work because they are dependent upon one or more of the Adobe programs? Currently I have five Adobe programs: Adobe Air, Adobe.com, Adobe Flash Player 10 Plug in, and Adobe Flash Player 11 Active X 64 bit, and Active Reader 9.4.6 MUI. When I try to uninstall the message is that other programs may be affected by deleting these.

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You only need to uninstall Adobe Reader 9.4.6 and you leave the rest.

Adobe Flash Player 10 Plug in should be updated to the latest 11 version using Firefox.

9. crsaj

crsaj Thread Starter

Thanks for your help. Looks like everything is running well again.

10. crsaj

crsaj Thread Starter

What is the best way to upgrade Flash Player 10 Plug in using Firefox? I don't trust a lot of the sites I see.

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Go straight to the www.Adobe.com site using Firefox and it will automatically give you the correct version for your browser.

12. crsaj

crsaj Thread Starter

Now I know why I'm confused. I only downloaded Foxit pdf and still using Explorer 8.

13. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Oh, well at some point you download the Adobe Flash Plug in which is for browsers other then IE, if you don;'t use it then you should uninstall it.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1031071

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice