1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Pentium D 820 with Intel D101GGC boot problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DuhbLinn, Jul 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DuhbLinn

DuhbLinn Thread Starter

I'm having some trouble with my current system not booting. I've already commented on another post on this forum for a similiar problem, and on another forum as well (see this post).

If this cpu is in my mobo, I can't boot the system immediately. Once it runs, it's fine, but getting it started is the problem. When I insert my old Celeron D it works perfectly. Also, the CPU has been tested and it appears to be fine. Look at my other post to see the specifics, or ask me and I'll post it here.

Does anyone have any ideas? Also, the last suggestion was to change my CPU voltage in case it might be undervolting, but my bios doesn't support voltage changes. Any suggestions?

2. MaverickUK

MaverickUK

Hey,

It may be an idea to go into your BIOS upon the cold boot and choose "Load optimised defaults", save and then exit the BIOS. Give this a try and then shut down the system again and try cold boot, see if it works this time, if not post back.

Regards.
    Nick.

3. win2kpro

win2kpro

What is the model of the Celeron that works correctly?

Access your BIOS and post your BIOS string. It should be GC11010N.86A.xxxx.xxxx.xxxx.xxxx (with the x's being a series of numbers).

I assume that the machine was originally configured with the Celeron processor, is this correct?

4. accat13

accat13

intel site says bios version 304 or greater required for 820....One of my sons has this board with an 820 in it ...He has no problems.....But he is using the onboard video...I know that the board requires a 24 pin power supply when using pciexpress video card....It will run with a 20 pin powersupply but only with the onboard video...The board receives limited support from intel due to the fact it was manufactured just after ati was bought by amd

5. DuhbLinn

DuhbLinn Thread Starter

I tried a CMOS reset and then a Load Optimised Defaults, but it did not have any effect; it still has trouble booting.

The Celeron is a Celeron D 330. The BIOS string is GC11010N.86A.0311.2006.0420.1525. I don't believe the system was configured for the Celeron, since the mobo was bought off-the-shelf. I replaced the original systems motherboard with the D101GGC since the original one did not have PCI-E. So unless it came configured from Intel, I don't think it was.

I am using a 24 pin PSU, but I'm not using onboard video. I got the GPU and CPU at the same time, and the two worked fine for a while (a month or so, if I remember correctly). Also, removing the GPU and using the onboard does not solve the problem.

You guys think I should just get a new mobo? I starting to feel that this mobo just isn't worth the trouble it's giving me... I know it's not a great one, but I got a great deal on it. And I'm a student, so funds are limited.

6. mclarenvj

mclarenvj

does anything come up on the screen?
    e.g 73h

7. DuhbLinn

DuhbLinn Thread Starter

The system switches of before my screen comes on, so if there is a message, I don't see it.

8. mclarenvj

mclarenvj

then is your bios up to date....
    to update it load winxp with your other CPU that works, and download the latest from intels website

9. mclarenvj

mclarenvj

10. DuhbLinn

DuhbLinn Thread Starter

This page shows that the Pentium D is supported on the mobo and this page shows that the 820 is supported with BIOS version 304 or greater. The link you gave refers to the D101GGCL.

I currently have BIOS version 311 installed, but If there is a newer one I'll give it a try.

11. win2kpro

win2kpro

Since you bought the machine off the shelf and replaced the motherboard what is the make and exact model of the machine? What was the make and model of the board you replaced with the D101GGC?

I suspect that you did not reload windows after the motherboard change, is this correct? If you used the original hard drive without reinstalling windows, then the motherboard drivers for the old board are being used by the new board. If you did reinstall windows from a system builder disk such as the ones provided by eMachines, HP and others that use an "image" for recovery, then the "image" is installing the motherboard drivers for the old board.

If the above scenario is correct, for the machine to operate properly, you MAY have to purchase a new copy of windows, reload windows and then load the motherboard drivers from the disk that came with the D101GGC board.

Please advise exactly what you did when you replaced the board.

12. DuhbLinn

DuhbLinn Thread Starter

Here is the full history:

3rd Quarter of 2005, I bought a Fujitsu-Siemens Scaleo L Special Edition (as far as I know this specific model was only available in South Africa). This system had the Celeron D and a Value Mainboard D2190 (think that's the right link). It came with Windows XP Home OEM, 512meg DDR400 RAM and a 160gig HDD.

Around end of March 2006 I decided to replace the motherboard with the D101GGC. I also purchased a copy of Windows XP Pro, and two extra 20gig hard drives. I redid the whole system, installing Windows on the one 20gig drive, Mandrake Linux on the other 20gig and formatted the 160gig and put it in a external case for my data. I did install the D101GGC mobo drivers when I installed XP Pro.

At the start of this year I decided to upgrade the CPU and add a GPU. Since my mobo did not support anything higher than the Pentium D 820 I decided on that. I also added an extra 512 RAM and the GeForce 7600GS. I used this system for I think almost a month before it started giving trouble. I thought it might be the PSU, so I replaced that. Still gave the problem, so I sent the CPU back to be checked and also gave them the mobo since I still had about a week or so left on the warranty (the CPU and mobo were purchased from the same distributor, Rectron, but obviously about a year apart). They told me the mobo was faulty and replaced it. They also said the CPU was fine. The new mobo did not solve the problem.

Since then I have had the HDD, RAM, GPU, PSU, all my PCI addon cards (56k modem, wireless lan card) and the DVD drive tested seperately (I have 2 other PC's I use for testing components and software), and they all seem to be fine. The problem only presents itselfs if the Pentium D is in the D101GGC. I don't have an extra LGA775 mobo, so I can't test the CPU myself, but it was tested and came back with an OK.

I installed the new BIOS just before reading this post. I'll have to see if it works now. If the system has booted once, I can switch it off and soon turn it on again without trouble; soon meaning 2 or 3 minutes maybe. However, if I switch it off and leave it off for a while, say more than 5 minutes, I can't switch it on again.

13. win2kpro

win2kpro

Your BIOS string indicates that BIOS version 311 is installed. At the Intel site no version 311 is listed. The BIOS versions jump from 307 to 312 then to 313.

What I suspect is there MAY have been a version 311 that was problematic that Intel has removed. What I would do is flash the BIOS with the latest version, eg. 313 and see if that solves your problem.

Here is a link to BIOS version 313;

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Fil...ctID=2229&OSFullname=OS+Independent&strOSs=38

Here are the instructions for flashing the BIOS;

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Det...ID=2229&DwnldID=11738&strOSs=38&OSFullName=OS Independent&lang=eng

BE SURE AND FOLLOW THE FLASHING INSTRUCTIONS EXACTLY AS WRITTEN.

14. DuhbLinn

DuhbLinn Thread Starter

Thanks, but I already mentioned I installed the new BIOS in my previous reply.

I now have GC11010N.86A.0313.2006.0915.1840, but I won't know if it works before I keep my system switched off for a while. And since I'm using my computer now, this won't happen for some time.

15. DuhbLinn

DuhbLinn Thread Starter

PC still won't boot. Thanks for all the help guys, but I think I'm just gonna replace the mobo with something better. I'm getting really tired of having to deal with this. Think it's time to throw in the towel.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/590834

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice