1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Percentage of total in excel

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by anonymos105, Feb 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. anonymos105

anonymos105 Thread Starter

This is a simple one I think just not sure the way to approach it

I have a list of numbers in column "b" with the total at the bottom (ex numbers are cells b1-b4 and the total is in b5) in column "c" I would like the percent of the total ( for ex if b1= $50, b2=$25, b3=$75, b4=$50 and b5 would therefore = $200 as the total c1 should = 25%, c2=13%, c3=38% and c4=25% for a total of 100%)

Ok so my problem is how do I propogate the formula through all of column c. IE I know the formula would be c1 =b1/b5, c2 =b2/b5, c3 =b3/b5 etc... if I try to do the drag box or paste special it keeps adjusting the second value as well ex... c1=b1/b5, c2=b2/b6, c3= b3/b7 etc...

How can I do a large group of cells without manually entering the formulas or having to go through each one and correct the formula manually. The number of cells I am using makes this prohibitive

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Make the formula for C1 to be C1=B1/$B$5 and then drag-copy it through C2 to C4.

The dollar signs lock the row and column cell references.

EDIT: If you are entering cell references in the formula by clicking in the cells, pressing the F4 key toggles through all of the lock settings (column & row, column only, row only, or none) for the cell.

3. anonymos105

anonymos105 Thread Starter

It's funny i've looked at formulas before and have seen the dollar sign and never quite put two and two together. Anyway that did it and thanks for the help cwwozniak.

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Glad to have helped out. (y)

As the originator of the thread, you can keep our moderators happy by marking it Solved in the drop down Thread Tools menu above the first post on each page. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542325

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice