1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: permission denied, Win7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by bp936, Jan 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bp936

bp936 Thread Starter

Every day I have another folder or file that won't open because "I" dont have permission. It is getting daily more files forbidden to open. Now I can't even see my own pictures. I never had a problem on any version of Windows until Win7.
    I have tried everything I could read up from Google but nothing helps. I just don't understand what to really do to see my files. I am the only one on this computer. I have Kaspersky, run Malwarebytes nearly daily and SuperantiSpyware. I have Malwaresearch so I never open anything that is not green. Nothing is ever found. It does not matter if the folder or files is on the laptop or on an external drive.

What is it that I don't understand how to take ownership of my files? I have not changed anything on the system. Also many of my pictures suddenly refuse to be shown, it says either they are corrupted or too large. I have no problem to see them on the XP laptop. All I want is to delete double files and pictures. Any help would be very much appreciated.

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Go to a cmd prompt with admin rights
    type the following

net user administrator /active:yes

press enter
    type exit

reboot and this time open windows in the admin account instead of yours - the password is usually left blank

See if you can open pictures etc from there

A cmd prompt with admin rights is not simply your account with admin rights it is
    windows button
    type
    cmd
    when it appears above right click and click run as admin.

3. bp936

bp936 Thread Starter

thanks for replying.
    I did as you suggested but it still denies me to access my folders.
    Also some pictures show and some are denied. Makes no sense to me but that what happens. And now a 3rd user appeared on Startup. I used ACDSee, Irfanview, the Windows picture viewer but it is the same. Since the pix are hidden, I assume they are the ones I scanned on an XP computer. Some say I don't have the decoder. Most documents open now, but the one folder I want to see what is in it, won't.
    And I understood everything from DOS on to XP but this Win7. I have to search for everything that I was used to. I am still learning where is what but I have a problem understanding Admin rights and elevated Admin rights.
    Also whatever I download, I cannot find, even so I download to the desktop.
    I just don't know where and how to get to know Windows 7.

4. Macboatmaster

1. Part of the additional security in Windows 7 is that certain tasks such as the installation of programs and running various cmds require you to agree that course of action or to use the elevated admin rights
    Hence when you go to a download you will have seen the window that asks you to agree

2. I am unsure about the third user account you refer to, but there will now be the system admin account that you just enabled

3. If you are still unsure of what I refer to regarding the elevated rights see this
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/11841-run-administrator.html

4. as you say you have typed that cmd net user etc and then logged in with THAT account and it still did not work please go back to cmd prompt and type

net user administrator /active:no

as to leave that account active is a security risk.

5. Where please are you trying to open the pictures from - the library or Users (you) My Pictures

Where is the folder and if you right click and click Properties then click the Security tab what are the permissions listed on your user account
    see screenshot

Attached Files:

5. bp936

bp936 Thread Starter

It is under C:\Documents and Setting. Under Security all Users, Admin etc, there is mothing clicked. I know there was originally (maybe under a different folder) the Security was all clicked and now nothing is there like your thumbn.
    I will read your link and see if I learn a bit more.

6. Macboatmaster

There is NO such folder as documents and settings on 7 OTHER than the hidden folder- to which access is normally denied - the normally viewable docs and settings folder was an XP folder.

YOU cannot simply copy the docs and settings folder from XP to 7

you have to open the folder and then copy only the individual
    docs
    pics
    music
    etc.

7. bp936

bp936 Thread Starter

So I wonder why I do have it. Because of my former dialup I had to get a used computer with phone plug-in and it looks like it was a refurbished formerly Vista computer.
    So I just keep on studying this, I copied files I needed from my USB backup drive by copying and pasting, maybe I copied them to the wrong directory. This teaches me to read first how-to and not assume. I probably have to move all to my new named folder once I understand more.

8. Macboatmaster

See this please a screenshot of my windows 7 - C drive Users ( Mine)

the only place where docs and settings shows on windows 7 is on the root of c drive with hidden folders showing

see second screenshot please

so the 1000$ question is where is the docs and settings folder that you refer to on your computer

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      151.5 KB
      Views:
    • hidden.jpg
      hidden.jpg
      File size:
      37.2 KB
      Views:
  9. TonyB25

TonyB25 Banned

You can't open the folder C:\Users\<username>\Pictures?

10. bp936

bp936 Thread Starter

My Explorer looks completely different then yours. I can't even copy and paste in Paint like I used to. It just doesn't work. What program do you use Mac to paste Screenprint? Some looks similar but I have a lot of more folders when I open Explorer.
    Tony, yes under Users I can open My Pictures, some of it.
    I am totally confused. I am so used to XP that my brain is searching for familiar actions.

11. Macboatmaster

press printscreen key
    open paint
    click paste the image should appear
    then if you wish to select only part of the image click select and drag mouse around which you wish to select
    click copy
    click to open new
    do you wish to save - no
    click paste again the selected image appears
    click save as
    select jpeg as file type
    then on reply go advanced and manage attachmernt

see screenshot
    1. arrow to paste
    2. arrow to select
    3. arrow top left corner to open what was on XP the File tab

Attached Files:

12. TonyB25

TonyB25 Banned

What do you mean by "some of it"? Can you open the folder? Can you see your subfolders, if you made some? Can you open the files there? Or do you not see everything you think you should or can't you open some of the files?

13. bp936

bp936 Thread Starter

My problem must have to do with how I use anything, I just don't have any "Paste" in Paint, it is greyed out. I tried so many ways to follow your instructions but it does not work. I have to become a User instead of working as an Administrator with no privilidges.

''yes Tony, that is why everything is so puzzling and confusing. Some filesand folders I can open and see and some I can't. So I will try to understand what the difference is betweern User and Administrator and elevated Admin rights.
    \\'And I thank you both for trying to help me.

14. Macboatmaster

Have you pressed the print screen key first - try shift and print screen

If that does not work open paint
    click open
    go to my pictures
    open a picture in paint
    go to select
    drag mouse around part of picture
    click copy
    click to open new
    click paste does that work
    when you close and it asks if you wish to save click no

15. bp936

bp936 Thread Starter

no, Nothing works.
    I went to Explorer to hide system files and tried again. I do not want to waste your time for now, since it seems something is terribly wrong with this Win7 I got. I always did as you said in XP and never had a problem.
    Unfortunately most friends I know only use their computer for Facebook and Email, and I was always the one who had to fix when something has gone wrong. This is the most frustrating experience for me, I just don't know why I dont have Paste in Paint. I will copy my own files that my computer lets me, copy to backup and use the disk that came with the laptop. Too many actions are greyed out what I want to do.
    I thank you for now for trying to help.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!