1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Permission Problems

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by LividRival, Sep 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LividRival

LividRival Thread Starter

Hi, I have run into a problem in Windows 7 and can't seem to find a way around it, can anyone help?

I need to become the REAL administrator to fix another problem I'm having with a PC game.
    From what I've heard there is a hidden administrator with power over everything, if I could just gain access to this account I could sort everything out. I have waded through hundreds of websites looking for an answer to my problem.
    I can't change any of the account permissions through the control panel due to the lack of permissions!
    I have also heard I can activate the administrator account through the "Command Prompt", In order to do this I am supposed to right click > run as administrator but once again I am en-counted with the same message reading "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item"
    It seems there is no way around this but then again I am a beginner at this sort of thing.

Please help!

Many thanks

James.

Attached Files:

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

3. LividRival

It won't allow me to change the settings. The small shield icon prevents me from going any further.

Attached Files:

4. allheart55

allheart55

Open the Control Panel and Select User Accounts. If you have an Administrator Account you
    should be able to select Change User Account Control Settings. The shield doesn't prevent you
    from changing the settings.

Attached Files:

• uac1.png
      uac1.png
      File size:
      69.8 KB
      Views:
    • uac.png
      uac.png
      File size:
      41.2 KB
      Views:
  5. LividRival

When I attempt to click it nothing happens and it does say that I'm an administrator.

6. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    What is it that you need to change in the "Game" to be able to do what?

7. LividRival

I need to un-install it and re-install in a certain way but it wont allow me to un-install + i have no control over account settings and parental control. That is wy I would like to have FULL control of my machine, I know Microsoft put Trusted Installer or whatever it's called to stop machines becoming infected but i am very careful about what I do to my machine.

8. LividRival

Okay, I am now able to access what i needed now... not sure how it was fixed but i left it over night and it seemed to work. Many thanks to all who posted.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!