1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Permission to Save? Change Defaults?

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Brookston, Mar 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Brookston

Brookston Thread Starter

Hello my friends:

I don't know if this is a Vista issue or a MS Word issue:

I tried to "save as" a document specifically to my personally named user folder and got an error message that said:

// "C:\Users\Paul\Documents\Forex\Forex newsletter.docx
    // You don't have permission to save in this location.
    // Contact the administrator to obtain permission.
    //
    // Would you like to save in the Documents folder instead?"

I am the administrator and I don't know what's going on with this! I'd give the permission if I knew how!

Is this related?
    I've noticed that I have inadvertently been using the "user/documents" path for some saves and I've wanted (still do) to STOP using that and make my own, named folder the default.

How do I stop getting these messages and how to I change the default save to the folder I really want to be using?

Sometimes I feel that Vista is an example of over-improvement and is less easy to use...like now. I *hate* having to waste precious time with little, diddly-squat issues like this one!

Soapbox:
    It seems to me that good software ought to seem "invisible" to the user and the tasks for which it is used (like a good sound system should be invisible to the music it conveys). I don't think Vista is really terrible, but I just wish programmers would know when to stop being overly helpful.

2. slurpee55

slurpee55

Are you logged in as Paul=Admin or as something else? And frankly, why don't you just save it to My Docs and then move it?

3. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    What version of Office (Word) are you using?

4. Brookston

Brookston Thread Starter

I'm using Office Word 2007.

And yes, I'll get around to moving things, but I wanted clear knowledge about the current error message situation first.

The issue was raised about how I was logged in. Since a recent trip to the computer repair shop, I've had a bit of a long haul getting back to normal since the repair people "re-imaged" the machine (I didn't know they were going to do that!)

NOW that you mention it, I went back to check and I see that I get logged in as the plain vanilla "User" (not like I had my machine set up before the great "re-imaging") so that's most likely the problem.

I just now changed the user name (and icon) to my own name. I'll try saving some files tomorrow and see if that change eliminates the warnings. It appears I WAS logged on as User/Administrator. NOW, I'll be logged on as Paul/Administrator.

When I take it on a shakedown cruise tomorrow, I'll come back with a full report. If it performs as hoped and expected, I'll be able to mark this one "solved." Until then,

:) THANKS EVERYONE.

5. slurpee55

slurpee55

I hope it is as simple as that - sounded like a permission problem. (I admit to usually log in in as Admin, but I am single and no one touches my PC - if I had a family, I would use user accounts, just to keep the kids from messing with my account. Had to help too many friends who had kids that totaled their PCs!)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/807839

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice