1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Permissions

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by robertdamer, Jan 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. robertdamer

robertdamer Thread Starter

Good evening everyone.

I have two user accounts on my PC, the administrator being myself. I have some file folders that I would like to "keep" the other user from using. I right-click on the file folder that I want to lock the other user from using, I select properties, I select the security tab, I select the edit button, and I'm left with this window (See thumbnail #1). Since I am the administrator, you would think that I can disable all permissions for "Users". However, when I try to do this, I'm left with this error message: (See Thumbnail #2). Any advice regarding this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance!!

robertdamer

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2450M CPU @ 2.50GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 6091 Mb
    Graphics Card: Radeon (TM) HD 7470M, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 690153 MB, Free - 542386 MB; D: Total - 20986 MB, Free - 2267 MB; E: Total - 4054 MB, Free - 1098 MB; G: Total - 305241 MB, Free - 172734 MB;
    Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard, 1800
    Antivirus: Norton AntiVirus, Updated and Enabled

Attached Files:

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    When you say "the administrator " do you mean "The System Administrator" account that is built into the OS?

3. robertdamer

I'm not quite sure. I've attached a file with the "administrator" in question highlighted.

Please see Thumbnail #3.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

4. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    What is the Account name that you are using?

5. robertdamer

The account name that I am using is Motor Mouth. The account that I am trying to restrict is Jerimiah & Amy.

Attached Files:

6. robertdamer

Pleas note: I'm not searching for any help regarding password or the like. Since I am the SYSTEM ADMINISTRATOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm trying to restrict access to certain file folders...

7. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    What happens if you were to right click the "Folder(s)" and select "Share With", and then "Nobody"?

8. robertdamer

Well, you lead me as far as I needed to be. I selected "Share With" under the right-click drop-down menu and then selected "Advanced Sharing". From there I was able to deny all access to the group entitled "Everyone" and then add myself, the administrator, to the "share" list with full control for the folder. Thank you very much for your help bro!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085748

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice