1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Personal Web Server

Discussion in 'Networking' started by CarpeDiem, Feb 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CarpeDiem

CarpeDiem Thread Starter

I am trying to set up a personal webserver. I have read tons of information and I thought I would give it a try. Here is what I did:

Installed WinXP
    Installed IIS
    Registered with a dynamic dns hosting site and created a domain name
    Installed DynSite and setup the software

Last night, all was good, I could type in my domain name and my index.html or index.php page would be shown. So I found this website and I thought I would try some additional installs.

Installed FTP Serv-U
    Installed MailEnable
    Installed PHP

After a while, I started to have a problem. When I would type in my domain name, I would be prompted for the username/pw but this is the username/pw to my linksys router. No matter which machine I use, it would take me to my linksys router config page, not my webserver page. In trying to correct the problem, I did the following:

Uninstalled MailEnable
    Uninstalled FTP Serv-U
    Uninstalled PHP
    Removed all port forwarding settings from router
    Deleted domain name and created new domain name

Nothing so far has worked. What did I do wrong? How do I fix this problem?

Additional information: I am running two machines, networked, on a Linksys router. Last night, everything was working well, this afternoon after all the installs and changes, I am forwarded to my router signon.

HELP!!!!!!!

2. coulterp

coulterp

You need to re-instate the port-forwarding on your router to direct to the LAN IP address of the sever PC. For example you would need to be forwarding different ports for each of FTP and IIS.
    Also do you have any SW firewalls on the server PC? If yes that needs a hole punched in the firewall for the appropriate ports.

3. CarpeDiem

CarpeDiem Thread Starter

What do I need to do to reinstate the port-forwarding for IIS? I am familiar with the port-forwarding for FTP but I am not sure I plan on doing anything with FTP.

4. coulterp

coulterp

Read this on another posting "I have a LinkSys WRT54G Router. I am also attempting to run a website from my pc using the IIS web service. .... Apparently, the web site listens on port 80 - but so does the admin settings page for the Router, so when I attempt to view the website, all I get is the Router admin page. I tried to configure the router to forward port 80 to the website. When I did that, I was able to view the website, but I could no longer access the router settings and had to reset the router. "

I use Apache server. To get round the same issue I configured Apache to use a different port (say 9999) to the standard (80). I configured the router to forward 9999 as appropriate. My dynamic dns alias refers through to <IP Address>:<port no>. Works just fine.

5. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Did you somehow turn on Remote management for your router?

6. CarpeDiem

CarpeDiem Thread Starter

Not that I am aware of. I reinstated port-forwarding for 80 and for 21. Now when I type in my domain name, I get the "page cannot be displayed" message. Nothing I seem to do makes any difference. I am almost to the point of formatting the drive and reinstalling XP so I can start from scratch.

7. coulterp

coulterp

IIS generally defaults to port 80 and Linksys remote management to 8080. But it's certainly worth investigating.

CarpeDiem: Don't go down the route of re-formatting and re-installed just yet!! To drastic. :)
    What about XP System restore to a point before you installed FTP-server etc? A lot less agro than a re-format/re-install.

8. CarpeDiem

CarpeDiem Thread Starter

The restore point is definitely an alternative. My concern is that since I am unsure what I did to cause this, in attempt #2, I could do it again.

9. CarpeDiem

CarpeDiem Thread Starter

I tried the system restore and something failed so I reinstalled XP. I then tried installing Apache, following the guidelines from different websites. It looks like XP and Apache installed correctly. I then downloaded DynSite and put in the appropriate domain names since I am using dynamic dns. I am still getting the same problem, when I type in the domain names, it takes me to the router's admin page.

If I type in http://localhost:<port number>, it will bring up my index.html page that I have sitting in the directory. If I type in my domain name, it takes me to the router's admin page. Following an article, it suggested port-forwarding to a port other than 80 so I went with a different port number, a number not in use.

What do I need to do to get this machine working?

10. CarpeDiem

CarpeDiem Thread Starter

I found a posting on dslreports.com:

http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/remark,12610945~mode=flat

in which the user was experiencing the same problem. One of the replies contained a link to an article:

www.dyndns.org/support/kb/loopbackconnections.html

in which the article described loopback problems with linksys routers. It suggested modifying the hosts file with the IP and domain name. After my excitement over such a simple fix, it made no difference in my predictament. When I type in the domain name, I get one of two results:

-the router's admin page
    -the generic page cannot be displayed message

11. coulterp

coulterp

My netgear router does not appear to have this loopback problem. I can enter localhost:8080 or my external domain name and in both cases get immediately to my web server page; my host file is exactly as it was on XP installation, namely it contains a single entry "127.0.0.1 localhost".

But if you've set the HOSTS file to allow for local resolution of the external domain name then you must be connecting via the local IP address; so why is the router signon coming up? I must admit I'm stumped now! :confused:

To me it looks like a router problem rather then a PC problem, but if anyone else has ideas I'd be glad to learn! Have you tried reseting the router to factory defaults and trying to take it from there?

12. CarpeDiem

CarpeDiem Thread Starter

Resetting the router to the factory defaults is my next step.

I just wanted to say thanks, coulterp, for all the suggestions and help. Hopefully, I will get it working. I am as stumped as you are.

13. CarpeDiem

CarpeDiem Thread Starter

I did my last resort which was resetting the router to the factory default settings. I then "messed" with the router, the port-forwarding, the hosts file, and eventually, it works. So I can do <domain name>:<port> and I am able to access the web server. Thanks for everyone's input, I reall appreciate it.

This site absolutely rules!!!! (y) (y) (y)

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/329786

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice