Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: Personalized settings are not saving on reboot

26K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  fazi14 
#1 ·
Heres my problem,
If i do as much as log out of my computer my personalized settings (such as putting a toolbar on the start bar, or moving an icon on my desktop) wont save. I get a window that says "Setting up Personalized Settings" when I logon to my account, or any others I create.

I've Google'd it and the only one I've found was not fixed, and all the others are talking about a file called loadwc.exe, which does not exist on XP.

Any help would be appreciated,
Mystic (Mac G.)

#9 ·
TOYMAN1952 said:
This is a long shot but I saw a Hewlett Packard PC do this with the folder options / views and it was a program that was running on start up that changed the settings.
Disabled everything in startup and its still happening, could it be the work of a virus or something similar?

Calling it a night, thanks to everyone who tried to help!
Mystic (Mac G.)

#11 ·
TOYMAN1952 said:
What value do you have at the following registry entry?...........

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows_NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
\cachedloginscount
you don't need to worry about this key

his value controls the number of allowable cached login attempts when the network domain controller is unavailable

It can be set b\w 0 - 50

0 = disabled
10 = default

#12 ·
I think you have a Problem with ntuser.dat file

It is located at X:\Documents and Settings\User Name\

Q.What is ntuser.dat
- NTUSER.DAT is a file that windows uses to store your user Settings and preferences. It loads each time the user logs on and loads any settings the user may have set like permissions, program settings , Desktop Settings ... etc etc etc ....

It Loads from the following regkey
HKEY_CURRENT_USER

#13 ·
File access is denied to NTUSER.dat, so could un-denying (sp) it fix the problem?

Edit:Nevermind, I tried that and it fixed part of it, are there any other NTUSER files?

Edit again: Ok, thanks for the help Devil, you solved the problem... access was denied to the file and I had no rights with it...

If anyone else has this problem i used cacls "ntuser.dat" /p [username]:F /c in command prompt
if you dont get error messages when you try to edit it or something, leave out the /c. Also make sure you are in folder devil mentioned above (x:\documents and settings\username)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.